Does anyone ever get tempted to cancel the holidays and just go away?

I have extremely limited contact with my family. Too much drama, too much fighting, too many people telling me I was a screwup, peopel with substance and psycological issues, but felt qualified to evaluate me - while they lived a complete opposite life - outside the home. I pretty much reinvented my world by leaving when I was still in my teens and just about "disowned" everyone. I had no idea what to do or how to survive, but I learned early in life that it's all about choices and I figured I couldnt do any worse on the street. Turns out that I was right.

Fast forward 25 years, I attended my first T-giving dinner this year at my sisters. I was glad to see that for the most part, people had changed. Not enough for me to start spending more time with them - but we all made it through the day without fighting. I had made it clear before going, that I would grab my wife/kids and leave on a moments notice at the first sign of trouble. I wont let my kids be exposed to that for even a second.

So, it's my position that it's a "choice". It's never "complicated" or my situation is "different". It all comes down to how much your willing to endure. I had a sister in law that had an unfaithful boyfriend........more than once.......more than 5 times and even fathered a child with another woman. Everyone HATED him because he couldnt keep it in his pants. I blamed my sister in law. He made it clear who he was going to be.....it was HER that tried to change him. Its HER fault that she was always miserable, not his. She CHOSE to stay with him and kept changing her life around to accomodate him. It's the same advice that I offer for those here, your misery is in direct proportion to what your willing to tolerate.

Enough philosophy........we now return to your regularly scheduled thread.
wink.png

I guess I'm one in a million that has a wonderful time during the holidays. Never feel stressed and our family gets along so well. I love the planning of the food, buying presents for the kids and grandkids, decorating the house. With DH's family we plan cookouts to an oyster feed dinner, ham and bean dinners even every 2 months just so we can see each other and his family extends into 30 some people or more coming. That's a housefull!!! I'm blessed and I know it!

Last edited:
I wish my in-laws would get a spine. We have the same issues with my SIL and my DH's bro. They argue and make every Holiday gathering miserable for everyone. Their kids are nasty and God forbid you try to correct their behavior!!!!

I already told my DH and my in-laws that someday my mouth is going to fly and I am not responsible for what comes out of it!

Back
Top Bottom