Does anyone feed marine algae?

camjac

Songster
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I was wondering if anyone feeds marine algae to their chicks. I read somewhere that kelp is supposed to be good for them because it contains all kinds of trace elements. I found brown marine algae (seaweed select) at the pet store in the fish aisle. It is natural dried seaweeds (macroalgae) and is used to supplement grazing fish and is good for a vacation food. My chicks LOVE it (they are almost 6 weeks old). The nutritional analysis is:
33.9% crude protein
4.2% crude fat
2.5% crude fiber
6.8% moisture
It comes in 6" x 7" sheets (dried) and I just rip off a half sheet and hold it out for them to tear off (there are 6 of them). They come running and play keep away from each other with their pieces. They have a supply of grit available. I just wanted to get others input on this since you guys know way more than me. Thanks for any help!

I have a marine fish tank and don't buy the algae sheets from the pet store because they are pricey. I buy Nori Sheets from a local Asian Farmers Market. They are much cheaper. I'll have to see if the chicks like it.

I will have to look for something like the Nori sheets. I don't know if I can find that here or not. THanks for the information!

Back
Top Bottom