Does anyone feed their chickens Brewer's Yeast?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by squeakyballs, Apr 13, 2010.

1. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a HUGE jar of brewer's yeast, and I was thinking I could give the chickens a few teaspoons a week. I figure it is chock full of nutrients and good for them. I've seen postings on here about people feeding it to their ducks, but nothing about it being good for chickens. Would a few teaspoons be enough? Or, too much?

http://www.vitamins-nutrition.org/vitamins-guide/brewers-yeast.html (This stuff)

Thank you!

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:It is high in B vitamins. I recommend useing it as a probiotic after any antibiotic use becouse it returns healthy bacteria. It is best sprinkle on feed. I would say a tsp. per lb of feed.
    I my self use Diamond V XPC Yeast Culture it is a lot better Yeast. It is produced by fermenting selected liquid and cereal grain raw ingredients with Baker’s yeast and drying the entire culture-media without destroying the yeast factors, B vitamins and other fermentation products.

Chris

3. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Thanks Chris09!
    I think I will take your advice and try it too.
    Thank you tofu for asking the question..
    ON

4. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Hmmm... is it good for humans too?
    I think yeast doesn't taste very good LOL

Blah, doctor said take some probiotics and I'm shaking my head! LOL

Good to know, time to feed birds and maybe me some yeast LOL

Abriana likes this.
  5. squeakyballs

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:It is very good for people. When I had my son the lactation consultant gave me a "recipe" for a drink that was supposed to be good for nursing mothers. It had 2-3 Tablespoons of the brewers yeast, a ton of molasses, and milk. With all the vitamins, I imagine it would be good for anyone! There is also a recipe for cookies that uses a lot of brewers yeast. :)

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Oatmeal-Chocolate-Chip-Lactation-Cookies-by-Noel-Trujillo-192346

Just make sure you are using Brewers Yeast (from a healthfood store) and not the type of yeast you use for baking! They are different.

6. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    When our girls were in daycare the provider would put brewer's yeast on her popcorn...we liked it and started doing it at home...it's good!

7. squeakyballs

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:I'm going to try that!

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    When my wife was pregnant her mid-wife recommended that she take -

Nature's sunshine pro-biotic eleven ( Improves immune system functions)

Vitamin K ( blood clotting )

Ginger ( Helps with morning sickness )

And a multi-vitamin with out iron

Chris

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  9. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Quote:It is high in B vitamins. I recommend useing it as a probiotic after any antibiotic use becouse it returns healthy bacteria. It is best sprinkle on feed. I would say a tsp. per lb of feed.
    I my self use Diamond V XPC Yeast Culture it is a lot better Yeast. It is produced by fermenting selected liquid and cereal grain raw ingredients with Baker’s yeast and drying the entire culture-media without destroying the yeast factors, B vitamins and other fermentation products.

Chris

Where do you get this Diamond V yeast culture?

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

Chris

Where do you get this Diamond V yeast culture?

I buy it by the pound a Hoegger Goat Supplies it run's $5.50 a pound

http://hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=4164&cat=0&page=1
    Chris

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by