Does anyone forage for your chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by linben, May 21, 2010.

1. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I am curious if anyone else forages weeds/plants for their chickens? I have noticed lots of edible weeds/plants on the roadside and in different places. I have a city backyard with a limited number of weeds and the thought crosses my mind to stop and pick some of the roadside "weeds" for my chicks. Is this crazy?

New to chickens and having fun...

2. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    I'm more inclined to pick up the organic veggies from the store, or a neighbors property that I know doesn't have pesticides. I worry about what the state puts on the roadside stuff. I always give them some of whatever vegetable I cook for dinner! [​IMG]

3. the lone rhubarb

the lone rhubarb Out Of The Brooder

Yea I might be careful what I gave them as far as it having chemicals on it. I give mine alot
    of veggies from my garden that are a little bit rotten (NOT moldy) or half eatin by rabbits.
    I also give them dinner leftovers that aren't too salty (like nurseELB [​IMG] ) But I also like the
    idea of asking neighbors for un sprayed plants. One thing I know, CHICKENS LOVE THEIR
    VEGGIES!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

4. the lone rhubarb

the lone rhubarb Out Of The Brooder

Oh sorry nurseELB, I wasn't saying your salty, I was saying that I give the birdies
    dinner leftovers too!!!! lol [​IMG] [​IMG] (sorry)

5. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG] Just to note, The girls get their treats pulled out before I prepare dinner... WE eat THEIR leftovers [​IMG]

edited for weird grammatical error.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  6. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I see Dandilions growing and reach down and pick the greens. I take them to my girls and you'd think they had been starving, they gobble them up. [​IMG] We also dump our grass clippings for them, which they love.

7. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    When mine are in their run all day without free ranging then Yes, I forage for them each evening! My ducks/geese need the "greens" and the chickens enjoy them as well! I also will do this for my horse, since her pasture is small.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have enough dandelions to treat my chickens, your chickens and a whole lot more! They love them. I pull some every day as a treat.

I don't consider the roadside a clean source, these come from our Martian landscape, also known as "yard". [​IMG]

9. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the input. What about Lamb's Quarter, mesquite beans, Johnson grass etc.... I work outside of the city in a small town with no roadside maintenance- I didn't think about run off from the road.

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I have my Silver Pheasants & Seramas in separate pens from the freerangers. I'm always picking grasses for them. They love the clover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by