Does anyone grow their own corn/seed feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OffSpring, Nov 5, 2007.

1. OffSpring

OffSpring Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Building on the "Does anyone else raise insects for their birds?" thread I wanted to know:

Does anyone grow their own corn/seed feed?

If so what type of corn/seed do you grow and what do you do with the rest of the crop?

Nest Bedding?

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I'm growing winter rye, winter wheat and oats with the intent of feeding it to my chickens and pigs. I have about 7 acres germinating as we speak. I'm going to mix the grain with the loose mineral (feed pre-mix) for my other animals and see how it goes.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

When we're done cutting corn I go walk the field and pick up the ears that the combine missed. I store them and throw them in to the chickens during the winter....just as a treat.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I let my geese hog down our corn patch this year. Several of them will team up and pull on the stalks until they come down. The geese only eat the leaves and the cobs... but the piggies eat the stalks as well. So I let them inot hte corn patch, too.

5. FrozenChicken

FrozenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I grow wheet (20 Acres) and have 200 bushels left from last years oats, grow some turnips for winter feed as well. See my "This Winters Feed" thread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by