Does anyone has a picture of what a cross between a red sex link and an easter egger looks like?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bahamabanty, Dec 16, 2014.

1. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    Does anyone has a picture of what a cross between a red sex link and an easter egger looks like? Thanks.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I don't have a picture of that cross, but since they are both hybrids, depending on which breeds were used in breeding the parents (especially the EE), and which parent genes the two adults passed on to their offspring, their offspring could have a variety of different characteristics. The offspring would just be barnyard mixes and there is really no way of predicting what they will look like.

1 person likes this.
  3. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    This isn't necessarily true - Cornish Cross, for instance, are a multigenerational cross. The parent companies keep grandparent flocks of 4 separate breeds - and end up with a whole bunch of F2 crosses/hybrids that look almost identical to each other.

As far as coloration goes, there's only a couple of possible genetic influences are red sex link can have. What does the easter egger look like - the whole Easter Egger/Ameracuana distintion is sometimes silly - if it looks like an ameracauna, it is - that's how poultry classification goes.

Play around with this and you can probably figure out what you're going to get-
    http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

1 person likes this.
  4. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Cornish cross are being bred for uniform characteristics though (white feathers, yellow skin, and efficient feed to weight conversion) which is not the case with EEs (which is why I said, especially the EE). The goal of EEs is to breed chickens that lay eggs in various colors, which means that all kinds of breeds (brown egg layers, chocolate egg layers, etc.) are used in producing them. The hatcheries that breed them don't care what the offspring look like; only that they lay eggs in different colors.

2 people like this.
  5. alica31

alica31 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2014
    Georgia
    I have both types but not cross bred. I do admit- your question would be a great lead for a chicken joke....

1 person likes this.
  6. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    [​IMG]

This is the rooster and one of the hens. I dont mind barnyard mix, as long as they are not white, I have a lot of white chickens! Would the ee-red star mix be a good layer and what color egg can I expect, the rooster came out of a green egg. My hens lay brown eggs. I just hope it wont be no white eggs.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  7. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    Hen:[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Some of them will likely have some white feathers in them from your Red Sex Link parents. The EE-Red Star mixes should be a good layer, although likely not the same egg laying machines as the Red Sex Link hens are. Most of the eggs will likely be some shade of brown, although depending on which gene the EEs give, you could get some colored eggs (most likely green), but you definitely won't get any white eggs. :eek:)

9. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    That sounds good thanks.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You won't get white eggs - you will likely have some shade of brown or *possibly* green

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by