Does anyone hatch turkeys in egg cartons?

Diamond Wire Farms

Songster
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Placerville, CA
So I'm a newbie to turkey hatching. I hatched on set last month and I tried to hatch them in egg cartons. 5 made it out fine. But two pipped from the wrong end. I noticed one of the eggs rocking and rolling and layed it flat. It hatched fine. But the other one went unnoticed and ended up shrink-wrapping. I was wondering if turkeys are more likely to pip in the middle of the shell then chickens and waterfowl? Has anyone had good results hatching turkeys out of egg cartons? The cartons work great for chicken eggs and maximize the space in my little Brinsea.

I have another batch of turkeys in right now, and I'm trying to decide if I should ditch the egg cartons? Or if the last two contortionists were just a fluke.
Any and all advice/experiences appreciated!

I hatch mine in egg cartons. Haven't noticed any trying to pip the wrong way. It could be because we candle before we put them into the hatching trays so we know for sure which end the air cell is on. Or it may be your two had a bad sense of direction!

I always lay the eggs flat with no issues. If they got shrink wrapped then the humidity was too low or the bator was opened, had nothing to do with the egg carton.

Back
Top Bottom