Does anyone have a Brahma?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kate Lawry, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Kate Lawry

Kate Lawry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    Hi,

Just wandering when she may start to lay? She must be about 25 weeks old.

Kate

2. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Yes! I have one light brahma hen. 20 weeks old this week, no eggs yet. She's a big girl though, tame, docile and strikes me as maybe not being the "sharpest tool in the shed".

My grand daughter had originally named her "Dumplin" me I can't resist calling her Dufus. She is always the last one to get moving when the extras get thrown over the fence.

3. Kate Lawry

Jul 26, 2008
    Mine isn't very big, I'm not sure if she is a Bantam or not! How would I know?
    I will take a photo of her and post later!

Kate

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Brahmas mature slowly so sometimes they don't lay til they are 6 months old.

5. Kate Lawry

Jul 26, 2008
    All my girls together, The front 2 are 'Sam and Ella' RIR hybrids I believe. Then there is 'Satay' a barred cochin bantam and then 'Tikka' the brahma.
    [​IMG]

Are they both bantams?
    [​IMG]

Is Tikka a Brahama Bantam?
    [​IMG]

6. acbear93

acbear93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Oostburg, Wisconsin
    I had light brahmas 3 summers ago, and I remember them taking a bit longer then usual to start laying...

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have a pair of light brahmas, my hen is almost 4 and took 7 months for her to lay her first egg.

8. Kate Lawry

Jul 26, 2008
    What about her size? I'm guessing she is 25-28 weeks old now.
    The barred Cockin Bantam is the same age and she isn't much bigger, just taller.

Kate

9. GA Peach in VA

GA Peach in VA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Central Virginia
    [​IMG] Kate Lawry
    Your Brahma is lovely. [​IMG]
    I have 5 large fowl Buffs. I love mine. They are only 15 weeks old, so I don't look for them to lay anytime soon. But, I just love their color and their feathered feet. My roo, Bodell, is the sweetest and quietest of my roos.

Angie

10. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My 24 week old brahma is bigger than all the rest of my birds, even my 1 1/2 year old Delaware, Comet and Cuckoo Maran. If your brahma is not bigger than your adult standard fowl, then I'm voting bantam. Also, mine isn't laying yet... none of my may 1 babies are... good luck being patient!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by