Does Anyone Have A Coonzapper Pop Door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by calista, Sep 7, 2010.

1. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    A friend sent me this interesting approach to safeguarding the entrance to the coop by building a "hot plate" on the pop door ramp. Has anyone ever tried this?

"A low-strung electrified wire wraps around Darren Bender-Beauregard's chicken coop in Paoli IN, and is attached to this metal plate at the entrance. The chickens hop up and are not shocked unless they have one foot on the ground...but they always hop up....unlike the unwary raccoon, possum, skunk, snake, etc., who learn REALLY fast not to repeat the attempt. Darren found he could leave the coop open full-time and never worry about predators."

[​IMG]

I'm skeptical about how this would work. (Apologies if this has been posted before since my Search term "Coonzapper" didn't turn up anything.) [​IMG]

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'm skeptical as well....I imagine one zap would turn a chicken into Kentucky Fried [​IMG]

3. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    We just installed an electric pop door with timer and love it. We went a whole year without one, so now we are really spoiled. I would never take a chance leaving my door open like that when the pop doors are so easy to install. Not to mention taking a chance on my babies getting hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by