Does anyone have a Guinea Pig?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by ginbart, Sep 7, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    My 8 year old has a Guinea Pig it's 4 years old. Does anyone know how long they live? [​IMG]

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    My best friend is a guinea pig fanatic. I think they live 10-15 years. I have to call her up tomorrow and ask since she is sleeping.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ..i do!.. i love him!....um...i think you are getting close to the age.[​IMG]..sorry..,wendy

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i just googled it..one said..5.5 years..the other 4-8 years...i actually have a book on them..i'll go check in a few.and get back to you.....best wishes..Wendy

5. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    Ours lived to about 6 yrs old. Lots of Vitamin C , fresh veggies, clean litter and TLC. At 4 yrs old you begin to run on borrowed time.

They are such great little pets!

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    yeah..thats about it..my book on them says..they all will vary, but on average cavies can live 5-6 years and rarely up to 8...so..its borrowed time..sorry..[​IMG]..Wendy
    heres my guy..Gizmo..he's about a year and a half old...
    [​IMG]

7. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I have two little guys ...Giorgi and J.R. ..and it is individual, but you could have plenty of time if you are offering a fresh and varied diet, lots of fresh Timothy hay and so on [​IMG]

They are very endearing little ones...

[​IMG]
    My guys on the sofa ..it's Giorgi's sofa, but he lets J.R. sit there, occasionally [​IMG]

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Your pictures are great. I was worried we are getting close. She is a short hair one we got from the SPCA for $1.00. She loves carrots and apples, she only gets apples once in a great while but she gets hay and veggies. Since my son don't really take care of her I think she could leave us and he would never know. I just want to start getting him ready just in case. Thanks everyone. [​IMG]

9. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Make sure she's getting her essentials ..in various "good" greens and sweet peppers, snow peas, green beans, squashes and so on ...and a good staple pellet that is full of necessary Vit. C ( I use Oxbow's Cavy Cuisine). My boys LOVE carrots and beet greens, but there is a lot of sugar in both, so they are treats ...and I offer dandelions, escarole, endive/chicory, some red romaine, turnips and mustards every day ...with red, orange or yellow sweet pepper rings ..a piece of cucumber and/or zucchini or yellow squash (crookneck, patty pan, etc.) and pieces of steamed hard squashes ...LOTS of variety for them. I probably only give them fruits ...maybe once a week, and then only really high Vit. C content. If your little one likes orange slices, it is all the better ...my boys don't [​IMG]

Good luck with your little girl [​IMG]

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    My sister and I had a pair of Abyssinian guinea pigs growing up. They are wonderful pets, a lot easier for children than rabbits. They ate a regular guinea pig feed (it looked a lot like horse sweet feed from what I can remember), and my mom made them a fresh salad every night with tomatoes, lettuce, celery (they loved the leaves!), carrots, and apples. They loved the green tops on carrots, and dandelions. They also had hay. They lived outside when the weather was nice, and we would bring them inside if it was cold or rainy. They lived to be 6 and 7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by