Does anyone have a photo of the offspring of the cross BO over BR?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wordgirl, Jan 12, 2010.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Is that even the right terminology? [​IMG] As you can see, I am far from a chicken breeding expert....

What I'd like to see is pictures of the male or female offspring from a Buff Orpington rooster and a Barred Plymouth Rock.

If you had any photos of BOxAustralorp, BOxBSL or BOXGSL crosses, too, I'd love to see them.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

You mean a black sexlink?
    Sure got lots. Daddy is Buff Orp mama is Barred Rock:

The barred are males, the black with buff chests are females, the solid buff on top right is pure BO:

[​IMG]

Earlier, about week old: The boys have white on the heads, the girls have brownish faces:
    [​IMG]

Lots of pictures in the link in my siggy!

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Cool! I'm glad I read this thread - very interesting and I Like Pictures.

4. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Quote:Its like a new sex linked breed

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Its like a new sex linked breed

I don't think they're new....just from a solid buff dad instead of a solid red dad, that's the only difference. I didn't know that they were sexlinks until I started putting their pix up around BYC, lol
    I think they are great kids and they have such outgoing personalities. Pretty too!!
    The barred cockerels are a hoot, always challenging each other --- they don't fight really, but they frequently posture up and think about it. The underling is mean towards me, and will be soup, the true boss is a champ, always breaking up minor fights and gentle towards me -- he might replace my current RIR flockmaster.

Their half siblings, the pure buffs, have no personality. I barely even know that I have them in my flock. Might could stand to keep one of them around as a spare, coz I'd barely notice him! LOL

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hey Tala

Glad to hear yours are still doing good, I really like the roo on the lower step with the hens, he as better barring than mine did.

Anyway, here are mine too, Buff Orp Dad and Barred Rock mom.

Dayold Pullets
    [​IMG]

Dayold Roos
    [​IMG]

5 wks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 mos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just sold the 5 pullets that I had, I wish I had gotten better pics of them before I sold them. They were beautiful and everyone at the sale loved them.

And I wouldn't say they are a "new" sexlink either, you can make black sexlinks with most any colored roo as long as he is not barred or dom. white, and you have to have barred or cuckoo hens.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:You can have him!!! He's mean!!!

The darker roo who is sitting down is the good one. He's been the peacemaker since they were quite young.
    Your pullets ended up more buff than mine. Very beautiful!! Mine seem like they are half and half colored.

8. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Oooh! How pretty! I think now I'm going to have to try some eggs from my BR this spring. [​IMG] I'd like to maybe have one more rooster – our current one is not always pleasant toward humans (of course, he's scared of me – mean girl, always picking him up and turning him in such undignified positions!!!). I was really hoping for a big sweetie.

Thanks for the pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by