Does anyone have a ridge vent as a part of their coop roof???

kiwiegg

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Minnesota
I put tar paper and drip edge on the coop roof tonight and was planning to put my (craigslist
woot.gif
) shingles on tomorrow morning.

It just occurred to me that with all the good advice warning to include a ton of ventilation in the coop (mine is an 8x8x10) that maybe I should do a little extra work and put in a ridge vent. Is that worth the effort? I have 2" open eves along 2 sides that I am putting a aluminium louver on. It seems that they are almost useless unless there is a way for the air to escape at the highest point?

I picked up a couple of 14"x24" louvered vents from Fleet Farm today and plan on putting them in the highest section of 2 oppposite walls but that won't take care of the air flow up top. Be honest, am I over-thinking this?

Anyone have any ideas? Cheers!
pop.gif

Yeah, the more I think about it the more it makes sense. My coop is pretty tall at peak and when you see the diagram of how roof ventilation works on the shingle instructions it makes total sense. The air flow might come in the eves but the warm stagnant air needs a place to get out above that.

Hope the weather improves for you bnjrob - we are enjoying a ridiculous warm Spring here in MN.

Thanks justafeedboy, it's great to hear from someone who has had success. I just got back from Lowes. It only cost me $23 for my 8L' of ridge vent (2 x 4' sections). The design of these things is perfect! Essentially an opening all along the length of the roof peak but totally sealed off from water. Roofing tomorrow......
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom