Does anyone have a Silkie Leghorn cross OR Silkie Australorp cross

Silkie and Leghorn Cross
hredirect2.jpeg

Silkie and Austrolorp Cross
hredirect2 (1).jpeg

I was thinking of attempting to breed my silkie roo with my leghorn and australorp and i wanted to see if anyone had this cross and could show a picture of what they would look like? Thanks
Your silkie/leghorn crosses will be sex linked for skin color (dermal sex-link). Female chicks will have black skin and male chicks will have pink or white skin if your roo is the silkie, opposite if your hen is the silkie.
This only works works with orange/white shanked breeds, so not sure if the australorp works, too.
I hatched 2 chicks at the end of December from a white silkie roo and leghorn cross pullet. One of each gender I believe:
1A07E190-62A5-419F-9D6A-308FAF1DC0E4.jpeg
08D78A34-6107-48CD-A50E-5DCB8E9B3030.jpeg
2898620F-285D-42F3-A900-7719343AAC10.jpeg

Of course won’t know for sure until they’re a bit older but these are my educated guesses.
They both have dark eyes, lightly feathered legs, 5 toes and I expect will develop crests.
Leg horns are dominant white so depending on what color your silkie is, you most likely will get white chicks. If your roo is black, you may even get some paints, looking like an Austrawhite, white with little black flex. 😊

Last edited:
Your silkie/leghorn crosses will be sex linked for skin color (dermal sex-link). Female chicks will have black skin and male chicks will have pink or white skin if your roo is the silkie, opposite if your hen is the silkie.
This only works works with orange/white shanked breeds, so not sure if the australorp works, too.
I hatched 2 chicks at the end of December from a white silkie roo and leghorn cross pullet. One of each gender I believe:View attachment 2475779View attachment 2475780View attachment 2475781
Of course won’t know for sure until they’re a bit older but these are my educated guesses.
They both have dark eyes, lightly feathered legs, 5 toes and I expect will develop crests.
Leg horns are dominant white so depending on what color your silkie is, you most likely will get white chicks. If your roo is black, you may even get some paints, looking like an Austrawhite, white with little black flex. 😊
Oh wow thats so cool, Thankyou! hopefully this works for me as my silkie roo is white aswell

I hatched 2 chicks at the end of December from a white silkie roo and leghorn cross pullet. One of each gender I believe:View attachment 2475779View attachment 2475780View attachment 2475781
I just found out that my leghorn ISNT PURE!! I've been living a lie for 3 years! Shes actually a cross between Rhode Island White & Leghorn.
Would this change what you recently stated?

I just found out that my leghorn ISNT PURE!! I've been living a lie for 3 years! Shes actually a cross between Rhode Island White & Leghorn.
Would this change what you recently stated?
Nope, the sex link thing will still work, feather colors may be different.
My leghorn cross is half leg horn, 1/4 rhode island red and 1/4 white rock. She is a star and lays a nice big tan egg every single day.😊

Back
Top Bottom