Does anyone have a "summer coop" and a "winter coop"?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jamz, May 4, 2009.

1. jamz

jamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Maine
    And would the birds adapt?

I want to do a tractor for the summer, and a larger coop for the winter that is attached to the garage somehow (I get really high winds where I live).

I was wondering if I did this if the birds would freak out after spending the summer in one coop and being transferred to another. Anyone know?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I don't think the birds would freak out, they'd get used to it after a day or two.

My only concern would be predators. It would have to be a really well built and secure tractor to keep predators out.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    My summer coop is outdoors with a large dog kennel attatched for the run. The winter coop is the 3rd stall heated garage (the hubbys mancave) Mine adjust just fine after a day or 2. It beats 40 below with nasty windchills and tons of snow, and saves on electricity altho i do put a broad spectrum light out there to mock natural sunlight over the winter.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Sounds like a great plan! I built mine summer temporary quarters because I have the summer to build the real coop and expand the run. It looks like a tent, made from a 4 x 8 3/8" plywood piece, cut in two and supported by a ridge pole, which is an 8 ft. 2 x 2.

We stabilized the "tent" by bracing the bottoms with 1 x 2's.

I'll be posting some pics of this soon, in case anyone is interested.

I was hoping to paint it with mistints ($5 wrongly tinted gallons of paint sold at hardware stores), but Lowe's was out of them when I went shopping. Instead, they pointed me to construction grade Olympic, $13.50. This paint can only be tinted in pastel shades, but it's good paint! So...................the tent is baby blue.

The ten birds are in a 10 x 10 chain link dog run that we no longer use for dogs.

Their first night out they sounded worried, BUT, by Sunday night they had all acclimated.

One NICE thing---it's shady and airy. I think your chickies could be more comfortable in a summer-time type coop.

Good lucK!![​IMG]

5. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    I don't. However, it gets really, really hot and humid here. They would all have a heat stroke if we left them solely in the coop and pen area. So, they free range more in the Summer. Not really free range, I let them in the back yard (it's fenced) but not with coop wire, so it affords some protection. They get up under my back porch, which is the coolest place in the summer.
    (We don't have trees around, only the ones in the swamp)

6. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    no i dont have a winter and summer coop i am thinking about making a winter and summer coop what do you guys have to say about that i am thinking about lining my summer one with form to make the heat stay in will that work what do you guys think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by