Does anyone have advice on training a dog not to snap or bite?

ilikepigeons

Songster
Nov 11, 2021
New Zealand
We have a 5 y/o neutered male small Terrier mix, who does sometimes snap or bite.
Most of these times that he does this is when :
I am trying to take something off him
I sit next to him on the couch
Try to move him off the couch or accidentally bump him when he is sitting there
Picking him up when he doesn't want to be picked up
Grabbing his collar when he thinks something he doesn't like will happen
Petting him on his lower back (sometimes)
Children petting him, sitting next to him, really children in general.
I think maybe he feels guilty after he bites because he will come and sit next to you, but perhaps he is just reacting to my behaviour as I am usually quite down afterwards.
He really doesn't hesitate to snap, he might give you 1-2 seconds of warning at most. I really need him to know any type or nip or bite is unacceptable behaviour. At the moment a trainer is not an option.
The two options I thought of are 1. leaving a collar and leash on him, and whenever he snaps say 'NO' and take the leash than put him in time out. Or 2. Train him not to be on the couches, tables ect where he is most likely to bite, but that is really only avoiding the problem rather than fixing it.
If anyone has any suggestions it would be really welcome.

I think maybe he feels guilty
Dogs don't feel guilty after snapping.

This dog sounds very dominant and is running the show. He should never be on the couch. Never. That is sending a message to him that he is at your level in the pack hierarchy. He's not. YOU need to be the leader. If no one steps in to give firm, consistent guidance on acceptable behavior, a dominant dog will take over.

If children are getting bitten, you have a major problem on your hands.

Dogs also don't do "time out". They are dogs. Not toddlers.

He needs very consistent training and desensitizing and I personally think you should get him to a professional trainer.

How long have you had him?

At 5 years and neutered that behavior should have already been trained out of him.

Step one....make sure he has been deemed healthy by a vet (chronic pain can and does affect temperament)

Step two....it's time for a professional trainer to work with both of you. It's one thing to get him to behave for a trainer and another to train you to be in charge.

Dogs nipping or biting kids is a big issue that needs addressed asap.

I agree with both of the above comments 100%. You need a professional who can show both you and your dog how to adjust your behavior. This may not be a popular opinion, but you need training just as much as your dog does. Everything that you listed above that you have been doing is only encouraging his behavior. You need someone to show you how your dog is interpreting your tone, body language and reactions to his behavior. If your dog has not been properly trained to respond to "no" and your reactions are actually affirming his bad behavior you might as well just tell him "good boy" every time he bites someone. Dogs do not understand English it's just different sounds to them. However, dogs will learn words (different sounds) as a proper verbal command when it is accompanied by equally correct body language and a correct reaction by their owner every time they hear that command. I also would not allow your dog to be around any children until a reputable trainer is fully confident the training has been successful.

Completely agree with advice already given. You should binge watch episodes of dog whisperer...there's a reason he says he rehabilitated dogs and trains humans....pretty much in every situation the human is the problem by allowing certain behavior or encouraging it, unbeknownst. The letting him come to you after, letting on the couch...it's all encouraging the dog that they are doing the right thing.

Our dog barks like he is going to attack another dog on the leash and lunges. We've been working with him all summer after I got sucked into the show when my daughter was watching it and I realized what a bad problem we had created by alot of other things we were doing wrong that got him to this point. We are 3 months into it and he is 75% better, not just walking on a leash but in every aspect of him being our dog. He's alot happier with known rules and regular exercise.

I recommend to get a trainer it will be so much better than trying to do it on your own and quicker results.

But watching some of those episodes would show you what you are doing wrong...you could especially look for small dog biting. Which there are plenty of episodes on that...

Agree 100% with everything already mentioned!!!
Also, there's an excellent book by Job Michael Evans, 'People, Pooches, and Problems' that discusses this, and gives an at home program for establishing the humans in his life as ahead of him and worthy of respect.
Anything written by this author is useful, and also anything by Carol Benjamin.
And a private trainer, the right private trainer, absolutely!
Mary

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the help everyone. You've confirmed my suspicions.
I did not raise/train him, another person in the house somewhat 'owns' him, and to put it bluntly raised him like a cat. Never made to respect people.. doesn't listen, wont listen to no.. he just does what he likes when he wants. She thinks it's normal for him not to listen and have no respect 'cause hes a terrier' and that any kind of respect training will turn him into a terrified wreck. Guess I have some convincing to do about getting a trainer.
Any advice on finding a trainer? The only one that looks good to me that I have found so far is booked for a year and the rest of the trainers don't appear to have any qualifications.

How long have you had him?
Had him since he was 8 weeks old.
I never did any training with him, wasn't the one who got him. I have been sitting here blindly watching a train wreck in the making and only now realizing it.
Thankyou for not sugarcoating your reply. I needed to hear that. If you have any advice on finding a proper trainer it would be very welcome.

Had him since he was 8 weeks old.
I never did any training with him, wasn't the one who got him. I have been sitting here blindly watching a train wreck in the making and only now realizing it.
Thankyou for not sugarcoating your reply. I needed to hear that. If you have any advice on finding a proper trainer it would be very welcome.
Terriers can be very stubborn, dominant dogs sometimes. A lot of people don't know what they're looking at when a dog is exhibiting dominance behavior that needs to be corrected as soon as it shows up.
Every one of my dogs has been a rescue. So I don't raise them. But I have rehabilitated many dogs myself. But it does take some more fundamental understanding of canine behavior in order to train the dog yourself. I would look around for someone who advertises not just as a dog trainer but as a dog behaviorist. That's the kind of person that you want to work with.

We too have rescues, and actually like guard type dogs too. Right now we have two pit bull terriers, from poor beginnings, and they have been very trainable. We do know what we're doing though!
I hope any issues with this dog biting someone won't fall on you legally, at least.
It's very possible to convince this dog that you are to be obeyed, even if his actual owner won't do the same thing.
And if I was going to be responsible for any injuries he causes, he'd be trained or gone.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom