does anyone have an acre dedicated to their chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SophieLain127, Apr 21, 2009.

1. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    My husband and I are considering a move to a farm and we are thinking of turning a full acre into a nice run for our chickens. What do you think?

2. swtamour

swtamour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    I envy you!

3. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Are you gonna fence in a whole acre in with everything people say is needed? Cover, burried fencing and all? Or do you mean more like free ranging on a acre?

4. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    My FIL was telling me how they used to range the chickens on the whole farm. They fenced in the garden instead.

5. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

If you mean like an acre with chicken Run or something then no that would be tacky being so big but if you mean like a 5 foot high fence to go around the whole acre for any kinda livestock then yes that would be nice in case you ever considered getting some goats or something go for it

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    We have 10 acres and ours roam on 4 acres behind their coops. It is fenced in with electric fencing (we have horses) and we live in the middle of the woods, way out in the country. They never leave our property and always back in their coops at dark.

7. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I used to let mine free range on our 4 acres. Problem was they went further and further away and I was worried they would go on a neighbors property. Now I have a 50x40 enclosed run for them. I didn't want to ruin the look of our place with a fence.

Sounds real nice though.......Good Luck!

8. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Mine are free on 258+ acres and all stick close to home. I dont know if thats cuz the Pyrs make them or if they just know that the food is here. Anywhos over at my moms place she has 12 acres fenced in with just the wire mesh livestock fencing for the alpacas she has and her chickens are in there. We dont use anything burried, or netting or electric, but we do have Great Pyrs so they keep a great eye on the chickens. I think if you want to fence off that much they will love it! And the square mesh fencing you can hardly see it all all when its up. Good luck with your move! [​IMG]

9. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    We are looking at two properties which are about 50+ acres. I am planning on doing about an acre just for free ranging chickens but I might just let them free range all over. We are planning on having cows, sheep, goats, ducks, turkeys, and pigs. Maybe I'll just fence in around the garden area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by