Does anyone have any advice for fowl pox

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 11lisaaces11, Apr 19, 2016.

1. 11lisaaces11

11lisaaces11 New Egg

Dec 28, 2015
    Hi, I have just discovered my young chickens have fowlpox. The older chickens around 2yrs and over were not affected, but I have started hatching my own in the last year, so I have a variety of ages, and the youngest, around 4 weeks age are the worst. I read online there is no cure available, I have started to give them colloidal silver and a little apple cider viniegar in the water in hopes it may help them along.
    I am hoping someone may have some helpful advice, as I have never seen anything like this, 1 of the young chicks has died last night, and im afraid of losing any more.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I believe that there is a fowl pox vaccine available for future note. Vitamin supplements / electrolytes to try and boos the immune system is probably the best that you can do once a bird is infected. Is it dry or wet fowl pox?

CT

3. 11lisaaces11

11lisaaces11 New Egg

Dec 28, 2015
    Thankyou. It is dry fowl pox. I will go to the local produce tomorrow and see if they stock vitamins and electrolytes, I hope that helps, its the 4 week olds im worried about, as they are getting affected the most.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I would hope that they will get over it. If you have gatorade or honey, you can add that to their water until you manage to get some vitamins / electrolytes.

Good luck
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by