does anyone have any experience with......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roxyblue, Nov 6, 2011.

1. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    hello everyone!
    I am may be getting a couple new hens soon. I AM SO EXITED! i have finaly figured out chickens math! I have a few breed to choose from but the two I am really think in about is a speckled sussex and a rhode island red, has anybody had any experience with they breeds ? are they good layers, are they freindly, wither hardy etc.
    any advise is helpful,
    thankyou!!!
    -roxyblue

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes yes and yes.

Almost any common breed/color offered through hatcheries, feedstores, or Craigslist sellers are winter hardy, good layers, and generally friendly.

3. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    thank you Illia!

4. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    My production reds ( rhode island reds) are nice and sociable. They haven't started laying yet. When someone goes inside the house, the girls will sit at the door and wait. They don't like being held though.

I think every bird can be friendly, it busts depends on the way the were treated. When I got mine, they weren't in too good a setting.

5. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    thank you Gvnam!
    yah I've seen a few pictures of this place and from what i can see it's a very large flock where they probably don't get a lot of human handeling. So far I've been able to train my chickens into sitting in my lap and comeing on comand and such. production reds ar so pretty and I can't wait to get mine!
    thanks again!
    -roxyblue

6. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    anyone else?

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:My production red hen, Penny, just adores being held! She will jump up on our laps. We have to shoo her off a lot of times.

[​IMG]
    Penny trying to hoard all the tea [​IMG]

8. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    [​IMG] People in my area told me barred rocks were a good choice. I'm happy with the so far, as with my others. I wanted a variety of eggs and chickens. Good luck!

9. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I just posted about my schizo Speckled Sussex. I had read that the breed is friendly and docile, but not the one I got! She's beautiful, though.

Buff Orpingtons are widely praised as being friendly - mine is stately and docile, not exactly affectionate. The friendliest of my seven birds is an EE who loves to be cuddled. My Silkie is also very sweet and my Mille Fleur d'Uccle is extremely spunky and entertaining. And my Black Copper Marans is calm and docile, similar to the BO.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:My BO is the same way. She doesn't like to be picked up, or held yet.. I have high hopes though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by