Does anyone have any experience with...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JT_KROL, Jan 1, 2014.

1. JT_KROL

JT_KROL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Hi,

Well didn't get the go ahead from the misses last year but since I am feeling better this year I brought up the possibility again and she is considering it...[​IMG]

So I am looking at 5 or 6 dual purpose birds Probably two Black Australorps, two Barred Rocks and one or two Golden Buffs.

Main goal of eggs for my family of 5 (we go through about a dozen a week).

I came across a watering system that looks like a great idea but I'm wondering if I should consider it in my startup costs...

It's called the "Drip Chick Auto Watering System" http://www.autowaterkit.com/ at $54.95 seems a bit pricey but I really like the concept, instead of a standard waterer...

Any thoughts?

2. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    We have 5 Barred Rocks. They lay an egg a day like clockwork. Big delicious eggs at that. We use the basic nipple waterer. Costs about $10. Water stays clean and so does it. I love these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    If you look through the learning center, you will see that several of the ingenious folks here have made their own version of this expensive item, for only pennies. If you are at all handy, it would be much cheaper to make your own. [​IMG] Sue

2 people like this.
  4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Just about any watering system works well in the summer time. The challenge comes if you are subject to below freezing temperatures. For along time I used heater tape around a bucket with chicken watering nipples. It worked excellent. However me being me I neglected to change the water as often as I should. This is what it looks like and it thermostatically controlled to come on at just above the freezing temperature. You would have to wrap it to suit your particular application if it is viable for your set up. It is available at Home Depot in Canada.

[​IMG]

Last year I switched to white rubber contains the wife found somewhere. They freeze solid every night but the ice just pops out of them in the morning and I replenish them with fresh warm water. They have black ones at the feed store that are similar but large than mine.

The chickens congregate around them like people having their morning coffee. The only draw back is my yard is pepper with small ice bergs the size of the buckets.

April looks after that however..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. JT_KROL

Jan 8, 2012
    Thank you Sue...it's been almost a year since I've been here so I had forgotten about that section of the site!!! I am handy so no problem there...is there a way to keep them warm enough so they don't freeze in winter?

6. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Yup - Hokum Coco suggested heat tape. I made a cookie tin heater for the winter, cost me under $10 and I got the idea form BYC!! I plug it in as needed and it works just fine. Our nights have been chilly -7F, no frozen water! [​IMG]Depending on the type of waterer you decide, either of these ideas should work, Sue

1 person likes this.
  7. JT_KROL

Jan 8, 2012
    Hi,

I am looking at starting with Pullets instead of raising from chicks...I checked at Meyers and the availability of the Chantecler is very limited...do you know of a hatchery that has them with better availability?

Thanks
    Joe

8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    That is the one draw back to the Chantecler. It is originated in Canada as you have probably read. That being said it is hard to obtain even in our country. Your choice for a dual purpose bird are good choices I might add. The Chantecler is just starting to make a comeback in popularity. If you ever get a chance to obtain this breed I am sure you will be impressed. Especially when it comes time to butcher. As for laying they can keep pace with any bird you would like to compare them to and large brown eggs as an extra.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by