Does anyone have any idea what our "mystery hen" is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NLKN9, Nov 6, 2013.

1. NLKN9

NLKN9 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
    Meet Mimi...our mystery hen! We have no idea what she is! This picture is from my cell phone, so it is a little bit fuzzy. Her legs are a deeper gray and she has some gray around her beak. She is very skittish and it is hard to get a picture of her because she rarely stands still. She isn't laying yet and her comb is so tiny that it is almost non-existent. She is also our only chicken that likes to "fly"...a lot. When they are free ranging, we often find her on top of the coop. ;) Her body and feather shape remind me of our buff leghorn, but her gray legs are confusing us. We love her regardless of her breed, but are very curious about her. Any thoughts?

2. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Not sure about breed... but she sure looks like from game breeds strains.... even before you said she like to fpy I knew she was a closer relative to the wilder types like games... her skinny long leggs and her feather patterns and the overall look are good indicators of that... she sure is soooo pretty..... we need more pics of her and her friends. ..

3. NLKN9

NLKN9 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
    Here is another picture of her. She always has this "inquisitive" look on her face. :)

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a mix to me. She probably has some game breed, like Old English Game, in her, but definitely has some other breeds in her too.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Mixed breed hen. Likely has some gamebird in her background, but is not pure. She's very pretty!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Totally agree with the others that she looks to be mixed breed with some game bird in her background. Her face looks identical to my game bird mixed breed.

And yes...they are FLYERS. You may need to clip her wings to keep her safely in your property.

Flighty but very sweet...and I suspicion very tame-able and even trainable. I bet with some treats I could teach my bird some serious tricks.

I've got mine trained to walk onto an extended rake then step onto my extended arm to be carried to the coop for roosting as she still wants to fly up (even with clipped wings!) to the coop top to roost at night (she has to make several short step up flights now instead of one long one).

She also now comes when I "chee chee" with treats. I think I can see an actual brain whizzing around in that head.
    (No offense, but a number of my birds are really bird-brained!) [​IMG]

Lady of McCamley

7. nettifer

nettifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    she looks like my blue splash auracana but she has a beard and muffs! how old is she?

8. NLKN9

NLKN9 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    Ohio
    Honestly I'm not sure how old she is. She is definitely young and is not yet laying. The pattern on her feathers is gorgeous. From a distance she looks white, but up close there is a gray-ish pattern on her feathers. I wish I could get her to hold still long enough to get a really good picture. Auracana was one of my first thoughts after doing some research on what she might be, but we are pretty new to this so we really had no clue. I very much appreciate everyone's insight! If I can get a better picture, I will post it. nettifer...do you have pictures of your auracana chickens that you could share? What age do they typically start showing their beards, etc.?

9. chickencrazy888

chickencrazy888 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    She definitely looks like my self blue Old English Game Bantam hen. If she isn't full grown then she is probably mixed with something else, maybe Araucana or Ameraucana mixed in with her.

10. nettifer

nettifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by