does anyone have any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Raven81, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    ok a few weeks ago the oldest chicken we have died ( with a bit of help ) she was 8 yrs old. she went down hill pretty quick & we just thought its old age she didnt wanna go into the coop at nite & during the day would eat & drink & walk around a bit but not with the others. she would mostly go to a quiet place & just stand there huddled up. a few days after that we put her out of her misery. but noticed she was quite swollen underneath.
    last week had a light sussex 1 yr old was laying soft shelled eggs & 1 day didnt get rid of the soft shell only the insides 2 days later was very sick & we managed to get the soft shell out but she died a few hrs later.
    now i have a shaver 1 yr old who is showing same symtoms as 1st chicken that died, standing huddled up swollen underbelly & she is missing a few feathers around the side of her butt.

are these 3 the same & if so its obviously contagious. what can i do to save the rest?

2. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I have no idea but giving the thread a bump in hopes of help from somebody that does know. Sorry to hear of your loss. I do hope somebody can help.

3. Raven81

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    oh & cant feel an egg in her but it could be soft like the sussex was. i have always thought that this shaver lays big brown eggs as the others are orpingtons & dont have as bigger eggs, & there was a big brown egg yesterday & today.

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Do you give them oyster shell? It's harder for them to pass soft shell eggs. Give them oyster shell and their eggs should start to be normal in a day or so......then they will pass more easily.

That only solves the shell problem.......I'm not sure whether you have something else going on or not, but I'd start there. If you don't have oyster shell, crush up some egg shells and mix them in with scrambled egg for today till you can get oyster shell.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  5. Raven81

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    they do have grit if they want it & they are free range during the day.

6. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Grit helps them grind up their food. Oyster shell gives them calcium that they need to make egg shells. Grit doesn't contain calcium. Soft or thin shelled eggs are caused by a lack of calcium.

Crunch up some egg shells and mix it in with some scrambled eggs or some other wet treat you feed them.

7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    What do you mean by 'swollen underneath?' Could she have been an internal layer? Did she waddle?
    I think they refer to it as penguin walking. You may want to try to do a search for that.
    Is chicken #2 related to the dead one? I believe I read where internal laying is hereditary.
    I hope it isn't that.

8. Raven81

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    i did try to feel her belly but i couldnt feel much just swollen. like its full of fluid. as far as i know none of them are related the sussex & young shaver came from the same place so they could be.
    she doesnt waddle like a penguin but you can see she is a bit swollen as it sticks out a bit. she still manages to get up onto the highest roost at nite.
    we dont have a bird vet anywhere near us so taking her to a vet is out.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    That really reminds me of what Speckled hen went through with her Ivy. Maybe you could do a search with those words. I hope it isn't it.
    I suggest you change the title of this thread to 'Swollen belly: help needed", or something that might catch some one's eye.
    I wish I had a better idea of how to help you. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by