Does anyone have any information regarding hinny's?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckMo, Jan 15, 2013.

1. DuckMo

DuckMo New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    QLD, Australia
    Specifically, Indian Runner male X Muscovy female hinny's.

My Muscovy female hatched 8 hinny's then got eaten by a fox, i have 8 orphaned babies and I need to know how to tell male apart from female, and other general info, what to expect and so forth.

Some of the babies have huskey voices while the others have high pitched voices, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN???
    PLEASE HELP!!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old are the ducklings, usually the drakes will have the husky voices the ducks high pitched. Sorry for you loss, can you post pics of the ducklings? [​IMG]

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You may need to wait until they are old enough to voice sex or by color. The babies may end up having a size difference between male and female but because it was a runner drake, it may not be as apparent as if it were a large breed drake. I've only had one muscovy cross and he got huge fast but did not make non-muscovy noises and did not have a drake curl.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I could of sworn when I raised Muscovy ducks you could tell the difference in quacks as ducklings if you knew what to listen for. Husky voices are usually male while higher pitched is female. By 4 weeks they should be noticeably different in size, if you can't tell for sure by then, with the drakes being much larger.

5. DuckMo

DuckMo New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    QLD, Australia
    the ducklings are just under a week old, i will post a picture tomorrow :)

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I don't think that at 1 week you will be able to tell anything. Because they are mixed, anything can happen, they may quack like runners, they may chirp or hiss like muscovy. I still think it will be a bit before you will be able to tell for sure.

7. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    How did they go?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by