Does anyone have any pics of a dog crate converted into a brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goldeneggtees, Apr 22, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, I am going to be using my friend's dog crate for my third brooder, I have 8 b/o chicks who are about 4 weeks old now. I just want to get an idea of how to keep the shavings in the crate as there are large areas where it will be kicked out. I was hoping to keep them in my dining room until they go into their coop. The basement is an option but I feel they'll be lonely down there as it's not an area we use very much.

Also, how old should they be until they are ready for their coop? It's still fairly chilly here in the Northeast.

2. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I dont have any pictures, but I use my dog crates and I line the bottom with cardboard between the cage and the liner. I go about six inches high. It doesn't keep all the shavings in but works pretty well. I just use cardboard boxes. Good luck. [​IMG]

3. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
  4. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    just read on a thread that the heat lamp can melt the cord...so make sure to keep the cord OFF the metal heat lamp...just a thought [​IMG]

5. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

I used aluminum window screening around the bottom 12" or so, to keep my banty chicks from sneaking out between the bars. If I did it again, I would probably either put the screen on the inside, not the outside; or simply line the sides with cardboard.

I also used 1" x 2"s and 1/4" hardware cloth to make a "floating" wire floor to keep the dust and mess down. Works fine for everyone but my (unexpected) feather-footed D'uccles, who I had to move out to another brooder with aspen shavings for their feet. The tray under my crate pulls out, so I line it with shavings, then just pull it out to clean it and put fresh shavings down.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  6. lovemychicks2much

lovemychicks2much Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Mercer Co.
    heres mine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chick818

chick818 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    I am new and still learning, but I have them in an dog carrier too. I have a heater in the room itself that keeps the room at about 70ish. They are 4/5 weeks and seem to do fine. I am also having a problem with the shavings I just keep vaccuming up the mess. You could probably put a piece of card board in the front to help keep the shavings inside.

8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I have the all wire one like pictured above........I zip-tied hardware cloth around all 3 sides, excluding the door (WARNING: NOT, I REPEAT NOT AS EASY AS IT SOUNDS! [​IMG] ) The cloth was exactly as tall as the kennel, so that made it a little better. I still scratched the crap out of myself, and had one heck of a time trying to get the stuff to unroll and lay flat, but anyway......it does work well as a brooder
    [​IMG]

ETA: I cut pieces of cardboard about 8" tall to fit around the edges of the kennel to keep the shavings in. They still kick them out the front, but it does help keep the mess down.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] You win the "Craftiest Person of the Year" award!!!!!! [​IMG] That is awesome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by