1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does anyone have any recipes for homemade treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by uglybeat, Jul 22, 2008.

1. uglybeat

uglybeat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    My 2 chickens are about 4 months old and are eating chick developer, some grain mix, whatever they can find in the yard (not that much since it's so hot here in texas and the ground is soooo dry!), and occasional fruits and veggies I give them.
    Just wondering if anyone had some homemade treat recipes so I can give them some fun stuff every once in a while! Thanks!

2. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    Have you done a search for treats here at BYC yet? In this heat I've quit giving scratch as a treat and started using oats. They love it. Even my dogs eat the oats. I make a bird-bread for my parrots that would also work for chickens if you omitted the fruits, though I doubt it'd hurt a chicken any to eat it. It's just a couple boxes of the jiffy cornbread mix that I add a couple cans of mixed vegetables and other stuff to that chickens would like and that is good for them. It's fairly inexpensive to make and you can freeze it too.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  3. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Miss Prissy has a yogurt recipe on her page.

4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I feed mine cold plain yogurt from the fridge with grass sprinkled on it. They love it, especially when its hot out.

~Rebecca

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My idea of a "home-made" treat is to open the fridge and dig in the veggie drawer! There is ALWAYS something in there! [​IMG]

6. pierce652

pierce652 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Quote:I second this. Since getting chickens our fridge has never been so clean.

7. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    My girls go crazy over garden left-overs: bolted Romaine, apples, and broccoli plants.

8. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I make Miss Prissy's yogurt recipe and I'm not sure who loves it more - me or the chickens! Another favorite of theirs is watermelon. With it being so hot, I give it to them daily. They really love it. They love most veggies and fruits, so other than the yogurt, I haven't made them any treats. Next year I will grow extra melons just to make sure they get a little daily.

Penny

9. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Yesterday it was really hot. I pulled a frozen ear of corn out of the freezer and gave it to them. They devoured it!

10. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Do a search for Veggie Bread and Cooking for your chickens both were started by me and have some great ideas on chicken treats...if you want to make somethign for them in the kitchen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by