Does anyone have big muscovy hens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My chocolate pair are "supposed" to be hens but for some reason i'm conflicted.. i have no idea why because i could tell with my first group way earlier but these two leave me questioning.. i suppose the main reason is there larger than my exsiting hens but not as big as my drakes?[​IMG]

Age... there 10.5-11.5 wks old.. fully feathered.. and there flip flappin' aboout .. if there drakes i think i'll just shoot myself [​IMG] .. kidding/sorta [​IMG] i know it sucks with pictures i try and help people with the ever lasting question of what gender is my muscovy to.. i tried to get them all together well, with my older hens(5mths Early Oct) but of coarse as soon as the camera came they separated.

These are cell phone pics sorry my camera was on a walkabout and i wanted to get good light... there nicely coloured.. at least lol Please somebody give me good news. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally together, sorry the one kinda blocked the other a bit.. ducks are not easy to take pictures of.. that or these ones are camera shy [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are marked differently so one can tell them apart at least.

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    They both look like drakes to me. [​IMG]

3. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Hope your wrong LOL no offense of coarse [​IMG] Nah, i have my suspicions to that's why i posted. [​IMG]

4. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Both ARE Drakes.. But I do have some HUGE hens. Some of my hens are the size of some people Drakes..

5. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i reckon the second pic looks like a girl but in the bottom pic i cant tell! i go by the curve of the neck as well, the boys have longer necks there for they have more curve in there neck if that makes any sense. i have some broad headed ducks that look like drakes until 8 or 9 weeks, you should be able to tell on size now with yours, definatley by 12 weeks. i've just been scrolling down and looking over and over, i reckon youve got a pair.

[

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Where did they come from? both showmen and people raising them for meat have managed to produce much larger than normal ducks. the show ducks usually have much more than normal facial "junk" as that is desired for Show and is bred for. meat ducks are just bred for size so the face is more normal. I would judge yours to be meat ducks and if so the size does not tell the gender since a meat duck can be larger than a normal drake. The only drawback to my theory is that usually meat birds are bred from white stock since a white bird 'dresses' better for the table. ~gd

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:An Auction place that has booths at the front.. ie; farmers market... it was an old farmer guy who had every type of duck and chicken imaginable.. these we're the two smallest of the chocolate and black//white muscovy he had, they we're between 3 & 4wks old... so we've had them awhile now, he said they we're hens and he'd had them for over 20yrs(muscovy) so he could tell but hey these ducks are short supply(where i live, short of straight runs) so we figured worse case he was wrong we got drakes [​IMG].

My main flock are white's from my feed supply, bought as day olds.. my hens are REALLY petite.. and my one drake particularly large like lifting a turkey size lol At this point no matter what they are they'll stay till spring.. just the flock will NOT mingle and i am wondering if this is why.. if there are drakes well, my older boys will be defensive as the hens have been laying for a few weeks now.

I'll try getting a picture of them with the rest to get a better gauge of the sizing i'm dealing with which is where my confusion is coming from [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by