Does anyone have chickens that think you are their moms/dads?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Critter Crazed, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    I have a rooster. He is 21 weeks old. A bantam cochin.
    Ever since he was 5 weeks old, every night he insists on "roosting" with me. Right before dusk when it's sleep time, my rooster will literally whine for me. He sounds like a dog! He'll run back and forth from the coop to the house until I go outside by him (or until it gets really dark out, then he goes into the coop with the girls). He'll walk me to the coop. Then he'll hop on my arm. I close the girls (5 silkies) in for the night and I walk him back to the deck. Sit down. He finds a comfy spot in my arms and tries to snuggle in my hair. He always has to be as close to me as possible, for warmth I think. [​IMG] And he will stay there until I have to put him back in with the girls for the night. I usually sit with him for half an hour. Oh and heres a plus too, he never poops on me. I haven't had him poop on me at all (that I know of anyways) [​IMG]. I thought chickens pooped like crazy at night??

I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this behavior before?!? I really do think he thinks I'm his mom. When I haven't seen him for a while (in the morning or something) he'll "scream" at me when he sees me. Like "AAHHHHHH!" almost like a hello. But he does do this to my family too, not just me!

So, what's the verdict. Does he really think I'm his mom? Girlfriend? Anyone else with a full-grown rooster like this?!? [​IMG]

OHH! I have pictures. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Colonel, the rooster, and one of my silkie girls Luna! [​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Not normal but very cute! Silly boy.

3. FluffyColor

FluffyColor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    I once had a chick that would push her brother and sisters to get to the front of the brooder when I came to visit. She would 'peep peep peep' like crazy until I picked her up.Then she would be very quiet. She would even fall asleep! [​IMG] But as soon asI put her down,she would wake up ad start peeping loudly.She did it constantly unless I was there!! One time,she woke up the whole family at 5:30. [​IMG]
    When she woke us all up,Daddy said, "Zuri?You didn't tell me you had a rooster."

[​IMG]

4. flymamma

flymamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I have a red sex link pullet that was very sick in July . I had to nurse her back .. since then when I go in the coop in the morning to gather eggs , scrape the poo and throw scratch .. she will roost on my shoulder . She lost an eye when she was sick , so we call her the one eyed pirate chicken and now she thinks she is a parrot [​IMG] . She is such a sweetheart . At 8 months she has just started laying ... but had she never layed I would have kept her anyway .

5. Cluckatar

Cluckatar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Our two white EE chicks have been cuddlers from the day we brought them home. When we had the brooder box in the kitchen they would fly across the room to roost on my shoulder, and wanted to be held constantly. They are 30 weeks now, and still the easiest of our hens to handle and come straight up to me when I'm feeding or watering at the coop.

[​IMG]

6. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    Quote:Thanks. [​IMG]

Those are all reaaaally cute stories! [​IMG] I love how chickens can be so... unchicken-like sometimes! What a cute picture of that chick. [​IMG] That is adorable. I remember at maybe 3, 4 weeks old my rooster and my favorite silkie girl would fly to the top of the box sometimes. Maybe trying to get on my shoulder even then? [​IMG] Tooooo cute...
    And lol @ the one eyed pirate chicken!

FluffyColor that is really cute. [​IMG]
    Even my rooster wasn't all that friendly when he was little. I have to admit he was the most friendliest but all my chickens seemed to hate me when they were little. [​IMG] But then at 5 weeks my little roo decided I was his mommy... [​IMG] It's amazing how sweet they really can be!

What do you guys think? Could this little guy really think I'm his mom?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  7. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    LOL Most of my ladies look at me as one of them [​IMG] If i sit in the dirt when its sunny, they will all come sun next to me LOL [​IMG] It is very cute [​IMG]

8. prov31gal

prov31gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    over the mountain
    i had a friend who had a great big old tom turkey named tom. and she was his hen. he HATED her husband and would attack on sight. he would do his little strut and fan his feathers for her. and that turkey was origionally ment for the oven but he went on and on for years and years becayse betty just loved him so much. he was like a dog, a dog ona mission to kill her husband.
    well, one day he just got too mean, and he was soooo old and sooooooooooo fat, and just got way too mean. well,betty was very sad, but decided that she did indeed love her husband more than tom afterall. so he ended up as gallons of turkey soup and turkey salad, but not at bettys house, her parents in law lived next door and after her hubby killed tom, (personally i think he enjoied that, since the turkey had basically been out to destroy his very being for years, so you can kind of understand why, poor guy) he gave it to his mom next door, and they ate him.
    but thats the only story i have about a particular bird being extremely attached to a human. tom was a funny bird for a while, and betty loved him, and he loved betty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by