Does anyone have chicks AND bunnies living together?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by stina3246, May 12, 2010.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    I'd love to let my bunny out in the run with the chicks once in a while but I asked on the rabbit website and they all said the chicks would hurt the bunny and they would give her salmonella. I know I've seen them living together in places before. I just wanted to hear the Chicken side of the story.
    They already know each other. The chicks get out to roam around the room while the bunny (Trilawnie) is out. She likes to wait until they are in a little circle and then run through them to make them scatter.

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    People have done it and it's worked out great. Others, not so much. I think it really depends on each individual animal. People have had their rabbits kill the chickens or the chickens kill the rabbits.

You may have a bit of an advantage, seeing as your chickens and rabbit have already interacted. If you do try it, try it for a short amount of time at first and keep an eye on everyone to make sure they behave.

3. lcw

lcw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    southern ohio
    Definently!!!!
    I'm on a computer at school and I cant post pictures right now but once I get home this afternoon I will post pictures of my Chickens and Rabbits living together... They are fine.. Ive got 15 or so Rabbits with about 50 or so Chickens. They all get along!

4. redrocketrooster

redrocketrooster Allons-y

Feb 8, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Like ChickenToes stated it sometimes has to do with individuals.

Letting the rabbit in the run for a little is fine but I would recommend supervision still. Having rabbits and chickens LIVE together is normally easy when certain aspect of their surrounding are met. However having rabbits and chickens live together in a RUN is something completely different. If you want her to spend even a whole day or two in the run, you may need to change a few things.

How large is the run? What is the flooring? If there is chicken poo every foot of the run the rabbit will most likely become ill from either digestion or being soiled in it.
    If there is only one rabbit she is at a much higher risk of being pecked to death. One of anything is seen as weak to a chicken.

5. cat_named_noodles

cat_named_noodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    Wimberley, TX
    I also recommend supervision, and for short periods of time. the chickens may be territorial of the rabbit too, so perhaps an additional play area on neutral ground is a good idea. We used to let our rabbit play with our 2 rats and sulcata tortoise and he would ask the rats to pet him by lowering his head in front of them and would rub the tortoise with his chin (scent marking) but otherwise would ignore him. Just take it easy and carefully.

6. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    We had 2 rabbits last year and they lived with our chickens... everything was fine until I tried to let the chickens free range, had to catch the rabbits so they couldnt free range. Also our chickens were pullets so maybe that made it easier.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    Thanks guys. Lawnie is a house bunny so she would live indoors and only go out for supervised play time.

8. redrocketrooster

redrocketrooster Allons-y

Feb 8, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Quote:[​IMG] Sounds like it'll be fine. I know this is chicken thread but do you have any photos? I love rabbits. <3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by