1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone have experience with Texas Backyard Chickens in Mount Vernon, Texas?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mirandalola, Nov 13, 2016.

1. mirandalola

mirandalola Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    NorthEast Texas, USA
    It's such a generic name I can't get anything to pop up when I search :p

I've been to the farm and it seemed great, and I came home with 13 chicks, but I have lost so many to disease (coccidiosis and mycoplasmosis) that I'm not sure if they're a good place or not! I know this really could be a fluke, and I take comfort in the fact that even though it took me over a week to isolate the sick chicks from the healthy ones, 4 of them never did catch it. So those 4 must have some natural resistance, and I'm going back next week to get more chicks in hopes I get more of those resistant ones :)

But does anyone else have some experience with them? Am I a complete idiot to go back to the same place to get more chicks?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I wouldn't use the word 'idiot'.......but it's definitely risky.

3. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me.:/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by