Does anyone have geese & ducks together?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cockadoodlemom, Aug 31, 2007.

1. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    I have mine together and I am wondering if I need to seperate them [​IMG] I have noticed one of my Chinese geese trying to mate with a buff duck. Am I crazy? [​IMG] I don't want that big goose hurting that little duck. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have mine together. When Broose the Goose was a young confused ganderling, he mated with one of my pekin ducks. Now he has 2 goose girls to himself and he leaves the others alone. [​IMG]

3. cockadoodlemom

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    terrielacy Thanks! maybe that's the problem they are young and confused. They are 18wks old. Do you think the duck is a buff orpington?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

There are buff orpington ducks? I thought those only came in chickens.

5. cockadoodlemom

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
  6. Iamaqte

Iamaqte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Riegelsville, Pa
    I keep my geese and ducks together... 9 geese & 13 ducks.. they get along alright.. they all free range so they dont have to stay near each other.. 8 of the geese stay in the creek all night and the one lone goose goes in the house with the ducks.. she actaully gets along better with the ducks then the geese... But other then the geese hissing if they get to close... they seem to get long alright:)

7. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I have 16 sebastopol geese and 15 ducks (mostly runners) who are pastured together. The geese and ducks mostly stay with their own species groups with a couple exceptions..... One is a goose who raised most of the ducks as her own, she hangs out with them sometimes instead of the other geese. And, two of the runner ducks think that they are geese since they were raised with a group of goslings. They shun the other ducks and stay with the geese all the time. One runner has had leg problems off and on and has been housed with the giant cochins...... when scared she runs and climbs in the nest box with a broody cochin hen. LOL.

chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by