Does Anyone Have Hermit Crabs?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Break an Egg, May 7, 2008.

1. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I had them when I was a little girl, and I miss them. I gave them to some neighborhood kids when I was moving away and I don't really know why. I'm thinking about getting some again.

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Have had them and want more, too.
    DH is surprised I didn't get any last time we saw them.
    But right now I'm too busy with chicks & chickens to take care of another animal. But I know I'll have them again! They're cool pets!!

3. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I had them when I was a little girl too; and have been thinking about getting them again.

Right now I have a fishtank with 3 fish. When they head for the Big Aquarium in the Sky, I might drain the tank and get hermit crabs to put instead of getting more fish.

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Had them, but DD wouldn't take care of them, so we don't have them anymore. [​IMG] They're neat, I used to play with wild ones when I was a kid.

5. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    I used to have them when I was a little girl too! i wanted to get some more when our large tank ssprung a leak but of course DH had to rain on that parade too!

6. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I have two.. one is 1 1/2 years old. They love to hang out a gourd I put in for shelter,noticed they like to eat it too.
    I got them around Christmas time,a re-gifted kinda thing.

7. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I used to have some. I miss mine, too!

8. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I am wanting to get them again.... this time I want to take care of them the way I should. Actually, last time I took very good care of them, the way I knew how. Now I know that they need deep enough sand or substrate to bury themselves in to molt. I wonder how the ones I gave away are doing.

I learned they can live for 30+ years. I know they are probably not still alive, but it's nice to think about them as still being around.

I had them at a very nice time in my life, they remind me of the "good old days" lol
    I'm such a nerd.[​IMG]

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Last time I had some I was in college and had them as dorm pets. I loved it because when I head a noise at night I always thought it was them and tuned it out. Helped me sleep!
    But I got some weird looks when I said I had crabs in my dorm room. [​IMG]
    I'm a nerd, too. Nothing to be ashamed of around here!!

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have not had hermit crabs. But I have had a crayfish. Now, they are awesome pets in an aquarium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by