Does anyone have ideas for ways to keep the birds off the porch?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mordarlar, Aug 24, 2010.

1. mordarlar

mordarlar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    I love these birds but they really mucking up our back porch. I have been letting them range most of the day and they seem to really love it. I don't want to keep them penned up all day. I have been squirting them with water when i find them but any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. tabbitha1000

tabbitha1000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    No advice, in fact, I'd like some ideas for keeping our pet goat off the back deck! (she's VERY resourceful at knocking or jumping gates! ... And has a strange aversion to our outdoor path lights...)
    Good Luck!

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Get a cat and feed it on the porch >.>

Where are you feeding the birds and how close is their coop to the house? If it's pretty close there's probably not much you can do for them... at least nothing that wont be annoying to you as well.

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    How about a gate?

5. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I imagine they would jump/fly over a gate

6. mordarlar

mordarlar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Quote:We feed them a short distance from the house. I was hoping that there was some sort of repellent type of smell/visual (ie.vinegar or pinwheels or something) that they would avoid. : ( Not looking hopeful though

7. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    No chickens have a really poor sense of smell like most birds... I don't know if a sonar machine of some sort would work like it does for keeping away dogs/bugs/whatever.

8. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Good luck with this! Our coop is right outside the house and in the evenings, our deck is the favorite hangout for our chickens. They come hop on our lap and try to come in the house. The poop isn't too bad - we have several garden beds right near the deck so they tend to go in there or in the potted plants more than on the deck. Maybe try adding some pots with dirt in them - sort of chicken litter boxes to help control the muckiness?

9. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a large deck on the back of the house. I rarely let the hens free-range because we have issues with eagles and hawks. But when there are out and I see a hen on the deck I grab the broom and scare them off. I clean up whatever droppings they may have left behind immediately. They get the picture pretty quickly. I also NEVER feed them or give them treats anywhere near the deck.

The kids know the only time they are allowed to chase the hens is when they are on the deck, so they keep an eye out for it too.

10. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

"Get a cat and feed it on the porch."... [​IMG] hahaha [​IMG] ... mine come running when I feed the cat... he's lucky to get a half dozen bites before they take over!

I sure wish there was a solution as we are getting ready to replace our front porch that runs the length of the house... but realisticly a hose and a broom (for the floor, not the chickens).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by