Does anyone have jumbo and regular pekin?

TSOWOATNKC

Songster
Jun 11, 2018
The two fully grown Pekin I picked up Saturday look different than the four I have. They seem a bit chubbier, and seem to have a more pronounced waddle. It isn’t by a large margin, so I’m wondering if they’re just chubbier regular pekin or jumbo pekin.

I’m talking about the one that is rounder than the others. There’s a blue/white Magpie and my other pekin in the shot.

They were in a pretty small enclosure without daily access to water for swimming. So I suppose it’s possible that they just ate and moved very little. They don’t seem to even know how to swim. They do the motions like my other ducks do to splash themselves and wash, but they do it from outside the bins with their heads dipping in the water.

Attachments

• C4B76B92-FA38-4B43-93B4-ACCC758BE469.jpeg
    C4B76B92-FA38-4B43-93B4-ACCC758BE469.jpeg
    738.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
According to Murray McMurray hatchery jumbo pekins are only 15-18% bigger than a regular pekin. So, not sure how they judge a jumbo from an overweight pekin. :p I am sure height plays a role too. ;)

I’ll see if I can dig out some comparisons. I have no facts, but I suspect the Pekins I got this year at TSC are Jumbos.

The ones I got last year are quite a bit smaller. I think the only way you can tell if they are overweight is by their keel. I think Miss Lydia has a chart on that somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom