Does Anyone Have One Goose For A Pet?

MrsDolittleDuck

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Tennessee
Hi Everyone, I have been receiving wonderful feedback from y'all about geese. I have one goose that came wondering in my yard about 3 weeks ago, so I found this site to ask questions, and there has been some great people here to help me out. I appreciate them so much. Such nice animal lovers. I never had a goose before, or any other bird, so I am so clueless about them. But I am learing thanks to y'all. I was just wondering if there is anyone on this forum that has just one goose for a pet? I would love to talk to you and maybe learn more info for having just the one goose. I think it is an embden, not sure if male or femal, and I named it Honky. It is the coolest goose. we are getting along pretty good. Just finally teaching it not too bit me. that's a trip. It follows me every where. (soo cute) Honky comes when I call him/her. seems really happy. eats like a pig..hisses like a cat, think its part cat lol..has a safe place to live away from preds, has a pool ( I don't even have a pool..lol). loves peaches, grapes, tomatoes, apples, my feet, but just wondering if you have any idea's for me and Honky. I Always want to make Honky's life the best it can be. Don't want to get another goose. One is enough for me, (they poop too much) and I am hoping for Honky. I also have 3 dogs and 3 cats, so one goose is cool! Everyone gets along well, which is so nice and loving to me. I taught them well...so if anyone with one cute, big, crazy goose, I would love to talk to y'all.
Thanks.
Donna

Hi Everyone, I have been receiving wonderful feedback from y'all about geese. I have one goose that came wondering in my yard about 3 weeks ago, so I found this site to ask questions, and there has been some great people here to help me out. I appreciate them so much. Such nice animal lovers. I never had a goose before, or any other bird, so I am so clueless about them. But I am learing thanks to y'all. I was just wondering if there is anyone on this forum that has just one goose for a pet? I would love to talk to you and maybe learn more info for having just the one goose. I think it is an embden, not sure if male or femal, and I named it Honky. It is the coolest goose. we are getting along pretty good. Just finally teaching it not too bit me. that's a trip. It follows me every where. (soo cute) Honky comes when I call him/her. seems really happy. eats like a pig..hisses like a cat, think its part cat lol..has a safe place to live away from preds, has a pool ( I don't even have a pool..lol). loves peaches, grapes, tomatoes, apples, my feet, but just wondering if you have any idea's for me and Honky. I Always want to make Honky's life the best it can be. Don't want to get another goose. One is enough for me, (they poop too much) and I am hoping for Honky. I also have 3 dogs and 3 cats, so one goose is cool! Everyone gets along well, which is so nice and loving to me. I taught them well...so if anyone with one cute, big, crazy goose, I would love to talk to y'all.
Thanks.
Donna

How's the training going?

Hi Donna! Is Honky doing better now since you are not trying to pet him/her? Sounds like Honky is getting more use to you following you around.
Plus the little bugger eats like a king with the goodies you are feeding. Seems to be settling in well now. Are getting the biting under control yet?

Hello,
Honky is doing better. he still wants to bit just a little now. not as bad as he was. he is so cute. I call him when he's in the yard and he honks and honks, and comes running. yes he loves to eat. I am just spoiling him so much. we bought some vinyl flooring for my front porch this weekend for Honky. I told you I was crazy. the porch is were Honky lives so we put down the vinyl because he poops and poops and poops, did I say poop??? lol alot and I am always hosing it down. we are going to kill our porch with water, so we figured the vinyl would help. and it makes it easier to clean. when he tries to bit I turn into the crazy goose lady. I start honking and runing after him and yelling no bit, and he is pretty scared of me. can't blame him. Im look like an idiot. glad neighbors cant see me...lol..but it is working. he still has a ways to go, but he is changing. I wanted to see if there is anyone on the forum who just has one goose as a pet. want to hear what they have to say. I haven't tried to pet him at all. I am waiting for him to stop bitting then I will try again. he bit my Yorkie in the butt yesterday. that didn't go to well. my yorkie was a little upset. that must have hurt. so we won't let that happen again. everyday is a learning experience with him. He's just standing at my front door right now, just looking in. there is screen where he can see in. did I tell you he tore the screen up?? oh yes...killed part of the screen. we put plexiglass there this weekend. that works. he can still see in and can't get to the screen. we are going way out of our way for this crazy goose, not counting all the money. I hope he ends up being a great pet like the rest of my animals. my husband said to me tonight as I was standing in the house at the front door talking to Honky...I can see that that goose will be wearing diapers...I started laughing and said I see it toooooo....lol...I already want him to come in with the rest of us. I feel bad for him being outside...Im nuts....I figured I got until winter to train this goose, so he can hang with us in the house. A girl can dream, can't she???..lol..lol
thanks for asking about us. we will talk soon.

Donna I wanted to tell you about Oliver the Red diapered Sebastopol goose. My friend Leesa who bought Oliver from me has a video out on youtube on how to diaper a goose. Plus many other video's of Oliver. Oliver is on facebook too. You might enjoy going and looking for Oliver. He is an inside goose.. Enjoy looking for Oliver!

I did see the video's of Oliver. He is so beautiful. I like the Sebastopol Geese. they look so cool with those feathers. thanks for letting me know about Oliver. I had watched some of his video's before, when you told me about him, but I watched them again plus a couple more. I didn't see him taking a shower before. Too cute.
My Honky seems to be getting better. I think we are on our way to not bitting. He has been going in his house also. he wasn't doing that before. so that is a plus. he has to like it before winter. I was looking a diapers on ebay, what a trip...thanks again for all your help. I just love hearing from all of you.

What is Oliver's Facebook page called? I'd like to follow him! Our neighbors have one male and three females. I love them! All but the older female will come to our 4 ft fence for me to give them treats! I too would want to let them in the house!

My dad and his wife had a lone goose when I was a teenager. Not having a mate, he fell in love with his own refection in the bumper of their 67 mustang (a shiny chrome bumper). Whenever the car came down the driveway he would run to meet it, calling loudly as he went and then running up to nuzzle the bumper. Sometimes my dad would tease him by crouching next to the car and tapping on the bumper with is finger. This infuriated the gander and he would attack my dad slightly. Later they tried getting him a female goose, but alas for her, he was faithful to the mustang and ignored the poor thing so they found a new home for her.

Hi Donna! I have one goose too. She is a brown Chinese Goose. My niece named her "Snips" because she did a lot of that when she was a gosling! We love her, she is very friendly and her best friend is our one duck, Milky Way. I'm with you, they poop sooo much! I talked to my hubby about getting another, and he saId it wouldn't be a good idea, as most geese aren't that nice. I've already got my hands full with all my other critters and kids to boot! But, yeah, we do love her. Did I mention, I live in the city! Shhhhhh!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom