does anyone have pics of P. Isabelle silkie chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AHappychick, Nov 19, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I have a several hatches/broodies going on and it occurred to me that I have no real idea as to what a Porcelain Isabelle silkie day old chick would look like.

I would also love to see pics of people lavender split chicks just to see the variety that happens and to compare. I have a bunch and will post some as soon as my camera charges back up. [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is no difference in appearance of a chick split to lav and a chick who is not (Lav+/lav vs Lav+/Lav+). Whatever other colour and pattern genes the bird carries are what determine what will show in the down and adult bird.

George has told me several times what a porcelain chick looks like, but I never can remember. So far the only one I hatched I thought was white until she was quite a bit older.

3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:i understand that I wont be able to tell the 2 types of splits until bred but I was wondering about pics of lavender x Any color chicks, in particular lav buff splits and lav black splits.

well I will let you know what they look like as soon as I hatch some from my pair. I have seperated the pair of PI so I know which is her egg only and I already opened up a few and they are fertile. [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:lavender X Any Other will look like Any Other X whatever is under the lavender--usually black, blue or splash. Let's assume black.
    lavender X buff would look like black X buff
    lavender X black would look like black X black

If blue or splash is involved, then substitute that into the above. A bird who is blue and lavender will carry some of the traits of both--the hackle (& saddle & tail) is likely to be a bit darker, but overall the shades of colour will be lighter than on a typical blue. Likewise with splash and lavender--you will see splashing, but perhaps less contrast and overall lighter shades.

If pairing lavender to a bird who is split, half the offspring will be hom for lav and the other half will be split. Those who are hom will have down indicating isabel porcelain or lavender.
    well I will let you know what they look like as soon as I hatch some from my pair. I have seperated the pair of PI so I know which is her egg only and I already opened up a few and they are fertile. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by