Does anyone have pictures of Polish chickens with crossed colors?

mom2chicksandpups

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Southeast Alabama
I asked for advice recently and was told to try to keep Polish chickens separated by colors so the offspring would meet standards. I really don't care so much about this, as I am only raising pet chickens. Have any of you guys mixed colors with Polish chickens -- like mixing buff laced, silver laced, or gold laced with other colors? Do you have photos of the results? Thanks!

I have a buff laced polish rooster with a golden laced hen and a white hen.
26248_img_2083.jpg
From them I got a buff chick
26248_img_2084.jpg
a golden laced chick
26248_img_2091.jpg
a white chick with a few black spots
26248_img_2093.jpg
and three black chicks.
26248_img_2092.jpg

No pictures, sorry.. many years ago I used to have Polish and deliberately mixed the colors.

Silver laced x WCB= solid black, many did eventually show a few white feathers in crest once they were year old. Others stayed solid black. I thought those solid blacks were rather nice looking and wondered why they weren't a standardized color.

Buff laced x white hen= solid cream-ish color. As chicks they were very cute, white with little black spots on them.

Wish I had a Buff laced x SL.. Buff laceds are simply gold laced with dominant white added.. this is what turns the black lacing white and slightly lightens the gold. I wonder what a silver laced with dominant white would look.. probably solid white or nearly so.

If you use a GL roo over SL hens you will have sex linked chicks- gold laced pullets and silver laced cockerels.

When you cross golden hens with Silver Roo you get all silver looking chicks.

The reason it doesn’t go both ways is because the Hens only have one Silver/gold gene.

The roo gives all babies his gene but Mom gives her one gene to her sons and the absence of a gene to her daughters which means daughters show dads colour and sons show silver since it’s dominant but carry gold.

So:

Roo gold(ss), hens silver(S-)
- sons(Ss) - silver carry gold
- daughters(s-) - gold

Roo silver(SS), hens gold(s-)
- sons(Ss) - silver carry gold
- daughters(S-) - silver

Also, I noticed people questioning white chicks from blue parents. This is why:

Blue in Polish is from the blue gene which is a co-dominant gene. This means if a bird is black it has 2 of the recessive genes (which is absence of blue), if it gets 1 blue dominant gene and 1 recessive it is Blue, but if it gets 2 blue genes it is Splash which is white with either black or blue specks on it.

So:
bl, bl - Black
Bl, bl - Blue
Bl, Bl - Splash

So:

Breeding two blue parents gives 25% black, 25% Splash, and 50% Blue.

Breeding 2 Black = 100% Black chicks

Breeding 2 splash = 100% slash chicks

There was a person on Ebay selling black Polish. I asked how they had gotten that color and they said they had mixed a white crested black with a golden laced and all the chicks they had hatched from them were completely black. I wondered at the time if that is how crevecoeurs had gotten started.

Some of the hatcheries sell black Polish, so you can get them without mixing colors. I've never seen one in person, but did notice some on one or two of the hatchery sites earlier today. There are also white Polish. I was thinking maybe a black or white roo might not mess the colors up as bad as one with a multi-colored pattern, but I could be totally off. I know nothing about genetics, which is why I asked.

Poultry Master,

All of your chicks are beauties, but I have to say the gold laced one is the prettiest. They are so pretty as adults, also. I finally broke down and ordered myself some golden laced and silver laced chicks. They should be here in about a week to a week and 1/2. I can't wait!!!

I also really love the black ones. I hope at least one of my offspring is black when mine get old enough to lay. I would have to keep a black chick or 2 or 3......

Back
Top Bottom