Does anyone have pictures of spraddle leg ?

poulet

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
I have just hatched some quails and think that one has spraddle leg. I have another whose foot kind of folded up any body got ideas of what I can do to help or will it get better on it's own . They are one day old
hmm.png

Thanks for that link it seems to be working for one, but the other one is not quite the same and I tried strapping the legs together but he just kept going on his back. I then cut his leg trying to get the plaster off and now feel mega bad about it. Don't want to mess the poor little thing about more tonight but if I leave it til tommorow will the chances be that it will be harder to cure ? .The problem is it is so tricky with a quail chick as they are so tiny

I am not sure this is spraddle leg ?https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7478_dscf0020.jpg
his foot is all scrunched up and his leg is splayed, the other leg is not splayed but foot is scrunched up

Last edited:
You can use a similar technique for what I dubbed "spraddle toe", I had a chick that must have gotten one toe caught under the wire mesh, when I took him out of the brooder at 12 hrs old- he'd folded a toe under his foot and was walking (badly) on it. I used a tiny bit of cardboard, wrapped it in kleenex to soften it, strapped it to the bottom of his foot with a tiny clear bandaid- perfect splint and a week later you couldn't tell him apart from the others.

15872_1210081106.jpg

Back
Top Bottom