Does anyone have pictures of spraddle leg ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poulet, Sep 5, 2008.

1. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    I have just hatched some quails and think that one has spraddle leg. I have another whose foot kind of folded up any body got ideas of what I can do to help or will it get better on it's own . They are one day old [​IMG]

2. irinuca

irinuca Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2008
    Woodstock, GA
  3. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I cant get link to work..... [​IMG]

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
  5. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    It worked! Thanks!

6. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Thanks for that link it seems to be working for one, but the other one is not quite the same and I tried strapping the legs together but he just kept going on his back. I then cut his leg trying to get the plaster off and now feel mega bad about it. Don't want to mess the poor little thing about more tonight but if I leave it til tommorow will the chances be that it will be harder to cure ? .The problem is it is so tricky with a quail chick as they are so tiny

I am not sure this is spraddle leg ?https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7478_dscf0020.jpg
    his foot is all scrunched up and his leg is splayed, the other leg is not splayed but foot is scrunched up

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  7. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Great link. Thanks so much.

8. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    You can use a similar technique for what I dubbed "spraddle toe", I had a chick that must have gotten one toe caught under the wire mesh, when I took him out of the brooder at 12 hrs old- he'd folded a toe under his foot and was walking (badly) on it. I used a tiny bit of cardboard, wrapped it in kleenex to soften it, strapped it to the bottom of his foot with a tiny clear bandaid- perfect splint and a week later you couldn't tell him apart from the others.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by