1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does anyone have problems selling extra chicks/roosters etc?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by aran, Jul 9, 2007.

1. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    I wasnt sure where to post this so i put it in here. Was taking a look at the flock numbers and trying to see where we can trim up a little to sell/rehome the less favourite and make room for MORE favourites LOL!

I have not set this plan in motion yet but was thinking about possibly selling/rehoming our salmon fav roo ( 6 weeks old) and the SS hamburg roo (6 weeks old). They are hand raised and very friendly but we have a RIR roo also and im concerned about the potential noise...we do live on 5.5acres but still im only about 150feet from the neighbour's houses. I also have buff laced polish and silkie eggs incubating and we are probably going to just keep a breeding trio of each. We may even just keep a handful of the silkie pullets and a BLP trio.

Im sure it is not impossible to find homes for these extras should we decide to do that...was just curious about other's experiences.

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Well, it's definitely easier to find homes for them when they are younger. roosters especially. I've never had a problem selling a hen or pullet, but it did take a little longer to sell my extra roos last year and I got less calls on them. Also the rarer the breed it seems the less people call or you get people calling to ask you what in the world you are selling, lol.

3. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Hi aran, Looks like we live kinda close! Im in western ny, on the lake newfane ,olcott area. If you get desperate to get rid of some birds I can put the word out around here.

Good luck
    Ann

4. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

I just re-homed 6 of my chickens through craigslist. Several people were interested within hours, and coincidentially sold them to a fellow BYC person (for $5 each).

5. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    thats all great news...im in rochester ny. I would be very happy to keep the roos except the potential noise with the neighbours worries me. Im pretty sure im not breaking any ordinances by having chickens and roos here given that im on land that allows horses etc ( just have to have more than 5 acres) but still i dont want to upset the neighbours.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's easier to sell a cockerel with a pullet to match. I sell mine at the local feedstore when she has room for them. She gets good prices and I keep half, taken out in store credit. Works well.

7. Royal Oaks Ranch

Royal Oaks Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    Northern Calif
    I dont find that the rare breeds are harder to sell.. Pretty much everything I have is rare or semi rare.. Im not talking Hatchery stock rare though.. The hatchery idea of rare and exotic is a joke.. Polish are not rare,nor are millie fluer duccles, cochins and others they list as being rare.. ..How can it be "rare" if they sell 1000's every year? It may not be as common as a rhode island red or barred rock that most people think of when they think of chickens but they arent exactly rare.
    True rare breeds such as the grey jungle fowl or Merriams are easy to find homes for because generally there is a long waiting list of people wanting them. I even have a waiting list for people wanting any extra roosters I dont need..
    As far as the roos go if you let people buy them that want them for meat you wont have too bad a problem selling them.
    Or put them in your own freezer. All else fails you can always give them away for free.. Its better to give them away than to feed them for 3 months then sell them for 5.00.. 5.00 doesnt cover the feed..
    Or once you see who is going to be a roo you can bundle them all up and take them to your local auction.

8. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    thats a good idea SH...i dont know if the local countrymax would take them though i have never asked them. I guess i will try the craigslist thing if/when they start making too much noise in the first instance then will try the countrymax/TSC.

I really dont need to make any money off them at all..would just like to see them go to a nice home and not the crockpot!

9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    We have a online classified called ocala4sale.com that I list mine in when I need to sell. What is best is its free to place a ad. I usually have mine sold in the first couple of days. Even the roos sale pretty quick. I usually list mine for $6 each. I had just listed 7 chickens from my flock that I wanted to get rid of. The guy comes and wants to buy all 23 of them from me. So I sold him 11 of my girls to make room for my new ones. You might be able to check to see if you have something similar to that in your area.

10. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    will do mate thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by