Does anyone have quail eggs?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Tsagirl, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Would like to incubate and hatch quail, anyone know of anyone?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    I have Butler Bobwhite, California Valley, Gamble's, Blue Scaled and Mountain quail. But will have no eggs till the end of March

3. Basia

Basia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    NE Ohio
    I have jumbo white pharaoh quail.
    What are you looking for?

4. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    Pinegrove, do you have a site? I would love to see your quail.

Tsagirl, quail are so much fun to hatch. They seem to pop like popcorn when they hatch and they run all over your bator. I only have one bobwhite and two dozen courtnix. The bobwhite sings and the others try to imitate it. I will definitely try to get more bobwhite eggs in this spring, though I definitely want to try a few of the more colorful standard size breeds.

Basia, what is the temperament on your jumbo white quail and how many ounces do they grow to?

5. Basia

Basia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    NE Ohio
    sweet... some are more timid than others... they do prefer to be watched and not picked up BUT they don't freak out when I feed them or get them to trim nails or check on their general health...
    Oh... I do have a hen that runs to me at feeding and will peck my hand trying to see if I have mealworms for her BUT trust me... it isn't like a chicken peck!

The original adults I obtained from
    http://redbarnacres.tripod.com/id1.html
    He's only a couple hours drive so I took a trip. [​IMG]

as for weight ... I believe the dress weight is 6.5 to 7.5oz. They are white... except for the occasional spot on the head or butt.
    And they lay about 300 eggs a year.

6. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    well I will be new to quail, so how much will eggs be?
    It would be great to have a variety, but dont know if they need diff incubating times or what. [​IMG][​IMG]
    any info would be great from everyone!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    If it is shipped I would probably need alot because my shipped chicken eggs did not do to well. I only have 7 left of 23 eggs that were shipped. Maybe quail are hardier then chickens??
    Please tell me all! I love this forum!
    Yea!!
    Theresa

7. Dogginfox

Dogginfox Chillin' With My Peeps

pine grove, where in SW GA are you located? I frequent that area and would love to purchase some eggs or chicks in the spring.

8. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Tsagirl, Button quail take 16 days to hatch, corturnix quail take 21 days to hatch, the button quail take the least length to hatch I would suggest getting them, there easy to incubate without pulling your hair for two weeks wanting them to hatch.

I am incubating button quail right now myself and im on....day 9 and everythings going smooth, but I cant wait for this week, not only because my birthdays this week but also because my little babies are going to hatch! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    How exciting Silke!!!!!!!
    Happy Birthday to you early and those little ones that are about to hatch!
    YEA!

[​IMG]

10. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    The courtnix only take 17 for set to hatch. Button quail are cute but stay very small from what I have read. I don't look at my quail and think "Mmm, dinner" but a lot of my customers do so I realistically have to hatch something that is semipractical so I can sell my extras. Last year I was the only source of quail for several people because no one would ship in hatchlings to our local feedstore. (Husband already rolls his eyes at every thing I have and now he is pestering me for pheasants as all of his buddies want some [​IMG] )

Oh, a tip on brooding quail that has cut my losses to next to none is to use the reptile cermamic heat bulbs instead of regular brooder bulbs. They seem to sleep much better in absolute darkness and as a result grow much faster.

Congrats on your January birthday silkilvr, I just had mine last Sunday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by