Does anyone have recomendations for books on raising chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sk8inChick(en), Mar 4, 2012.

1. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Hi!

I am new to this, and I would like to know if there are some good books out there on raising chickens for eggs.

I have gotten Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens from the library, but I would like to know what else is out there. :)

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks! :)

2. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
  3. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    WELCOME!
    I renter a book from the library called “The abc guide to chickens”
    And I also bought “raising chickens for dummies”

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina

5. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Don't know what's going here but tried to post a link and pic of BYC'S Chickens for dummies. Go to top of forum click on store. The book is for sale there or maybe at your local library.

6. FeatherPainter

FeatherPainter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northern New York
    I really like The Joy of Keeping Chickens by Jennifer Megyesi and Free-Range Chicken Gardens by Amy Stewart.

7. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Thank you so much, I'm going to see if this is at my library!

8. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Thanks! :)

9. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Raising Chickens for Dummies is a great book, covers lots of issues.... very helful. I highly recommend it.

If you get baby chicks, you need to know what kind you want, what you want them for... eggs, only eggs... no babies hatching later, no hens that sit on their eggs... or... meat birds for "Freezer Camp" and the soup or stew pot.. BBQ... BOTH... some breeds are suitable for both, it's all about breast size.

Do you want quiet, docile, "heavy" -- fluffy type birds or do you want thinner, smaller, "game type" birds... Do you want birds to show? Do you want something unique like Polish?

Good quality -- the best quality birds come from local breeders, not mail order hatcheries... most of the time. So, you can look on Craig's List and look for "Chicken Breeders", "Chickens", etc... also, lots of info here.

Chickens are not a cheap and easy thing... they take care... just like puppies. You have to have a coop where they will get good ventilation, but no wind... a sand floor.. a run (an open area outside of the chicken "house", coop where they come out to scratch around, eat and drink, take dirt baths.... ) a sand floor, waterers, feeders... electricity into the coop for a light.. water into the coop for a mister if it gets hot where you are.

Baby Chicks get Chick Starter mash or crumbles for some time... fresh water, fresh food, clean environment. Fresh bedding in the nesting boxes, babies will sleep close to the light, heat lamp until they feather out completely. You need to have a "predator proof" coop and run.. no space for a cats paw, or a racoon to reach in from the top.. . closed top at least netting to keep the hawks out. And, hawks like chicks a little older, the size of a pigeon 2 to 4 months old is prime predator food, especially of the flying variety, like hawks.

Get some Plain Pedialyte, some INFANT vitamin drops (NO IRON).... some Oraganic (Braggs) Apple Cider Vinegar.... some Corid... some Duramycin 10 (which is Tetracycline powder).... some Vitamin and electrolyte powder in a packet as well. Some Sevin Dust... for the sand box or sand floor, you can get some Diatomacious Earth, must be FOOD GRADE... to throw a little in the sand -- on the ground in the run. Some Blu - Kote Spray and Neosporin. Some VetRX.... some of these at the Feed store, where you get the waterers and feeders, some clearly at Wal-mart or Target, etc. Epsom Salts for soaks if you need to.... you or a bird, ha.

Later, maybe twice a year you wll need a good wormer -- just as you worm your cats and dogs... but, with different medications, you have to worm your chickens now and then as well (and you can't eat the eggs or the chickens when you do).

Some of those "throw away brooders (cardboard) are pretty good for starting chicks off, but they will learn to fly over and will need a permanent coop and run soon. Keep them warm... out of any bad weather, and dry... clean.. fresh Chick Starter and water as often as they mess it up... or twice a day.

Others will have some good info for you as well... [​IMG] ---- welcome and learn to use the SEARCH here on BYC... it's harder than it used to be... but, if you Search and then click / select "relevency" you will get better results.

Raising Chickens for Dummies and Building Coops for Dummies are both available here, or you can check Amazon.com.

Best of luck... [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    McPeak likes this.
  10. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Thank you so much!! All that information is very helpful to me! :)

What I had in mind was a small backyard coop with 3-4 laying hens. They would only be kept for eggs and as pets. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by