Does anyone have RIR baby pics?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EggsForIHOP, Jul 4, 2010.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    As a 'group' project now, several friends have either built coops or are in the process [​IMG] (It's pretty neat to have been the one who got them addicted)....one got chicks a week ago - some look like little RIR babys (it was a mixed set from Mt Healthy). Now they are starting to get little feathers and We dunno what they are! I will try for pics later when I go to visit...but I was wondering if anyone had photos of their RIR when they were about 1-2 weeks old to compare to hers....her computer died...but as soon as she gets it up there will will be another BYC addict! Any photos between now and tomorrow I can print and take with me, which would be awesome!

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Thank goodness for my Type A personality that labeled pictures according to breed and age:

RIR, first week:
    [​IMG]

RIR, second week:
    [​IMG]

3. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Thank you! Your type A personality HAS come in handy! (Don't feel bad, I have all my baby chick photos saved on the computer in files labeled like that - chicks Day1, Chicks Wk 2 Day 4 - I think with me it's a touch of the OCD, must have EVERYTHING NEAT.

I was over there at her place this morning, and she has like 15 or more of them that look like the first photo I think (it's hard to count/tell when they are that little and darting back and forth like nuts).

I'm going to try asking because you obviously have a RIR [​IMG] Are they more aggressive than others? I ask, because I reached into pick one up out of the brooder, and ANOTHER one ran up and pecked my hand and HUNG ON! Anyways...thanks again!

4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Sorry, it posted twice! Trying to fix it....

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    They were not my most aggressive chicks, nor were they friendly. They are still not overly friendly as of 11 weeks old, but they're not exceedingly standoffish either. I only have 3 of them out of 31 total chickens, from Murray McMurray.

They are all named Martha as I cannot tell them apart. Here is Martha today, a little over 11 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

6. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    [​IMG] Martha - like Martha Stewart? That's cute! Maybe it went for me since I just got off of work and smelled like pancakes? Or maybe it was the hashbrowns? Who knows...Can't really blame the little chick if that was the case. Probably a one time thing anyways...Thank you again!

7. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Songster

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    The one that ran over and grabbed you was probably a roo.
    If you click on the link in my siggy, it will take you to my RIR layer flock page...they are production RIR from Ideal Hatchery..now 2 years old.

I have very nice son of my oldest roo, Reggie that will be my next generation sire. I just added 3 RIR hens from a friend who bought them from McMurrays. My current flock is a lot smaller due to predator issue that has been resolved (I hope). I am working on getting a few more hens back into my flock. With my new girls, I am at 8 with a couple of pullets coming up and some eggs about to go in the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by