1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone have their duck(s) micro-chipped?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LoreenH, Dec 2, 2009.

1. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    I know most of you have way more ducks than I will. We have our indoor cats 'chipped just in case they get out, and was wondering if it were feasible to do it with ducks. I will be getting Swedish ducks (3-5) so I doubt they would fly out of the yard, but you never know when a two-legged predator might happen by. Our ducks will be in the backyard that is fully enclosed by a 6-foot wood fence, at night they will be in a predator proof pen. I've heard some ducks can be escape artists, we're taking a good look at the perimeter of the yard to see where a duck of any size might get out.

2. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    We don't have any of our animals chipped, but then again, no one knows that we live out here on a farm!

We may be looking to chipping my horse and cat in the future though.

3. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    That is an interesting thought. I hadnt thought of that. Im wondering if there would be enough skin between the feathers and the muscle though. I have my kitties done and they did it in the scruff of their neck. Im not sure ducks would have any lose skin...Im not sure though...interesting thought.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would do a leg band before I would chip one.

5. LoreenH

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:Do you put info on it like you do on a dog ID tag? I've seen wild & tame birds with leg bands but never looked at one.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I guess. I just know that if I had had my ducks chipped, it would have been a total waste on the 2 that got eaten by a hawk. Besides, if you chip the duck and the duck wanders off, how will anyone know it is not feral? There would have to be a visual cue...like a leg band.

7. LoreenH

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    That makes more sense. I will check more into leg bands. We have no ducks of any kind in the neighborhood, yet. A number of people have chickens though. One person had a couple of pygmy goats but had to re-home them because they kept getting into the neighbors yards and eating everything.

8. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:Do you put info on it like you do on a dog ID tag? I've seen wild & tame birds with leg bands but never looked at one.

National Band & Tag company will if you order bands from them. I just did.

9. LoreenH

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Thank you. I will check into them. I love this forum, I learn something new everyday!

10. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    DO NOT even cosider doing the microchip thing. Big Brother will not only charge you a HUGE fee, but the amount of paperwork, red tape, etc. will smother you. You will have to register your farm , thereafter known as a premises, and they will make you register and microchip every animal on your premises. You will not be able to move your duck or any of your animals to a Vet, or even next door without letting the authorities know about it. BAD , BAD , BAD .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by