Does anyone have these breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PioneerPrincess, Dec 24, 2009.

1. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    I was looking at the breeds of chickens and here is a looooong list I like. [​IMG]
    I would like to know if they are good layers and any other info such as if they are friendly or how they do in hot weather. Also, I would like to see real pictures instead of the hatcheries I found the breeds on. Thank you in advance for your help!! [​IMG]

I will start first with banties:

OEGB:
    Self Blue
    White tail red
    Splash
    Fawn golden duckwing
    Fawn red duckwing
    Fawn silver duckwing
    Blue tailed buff
    Blue wheaten
    Blue silver duckwing
    Blue red

Sebright:
    Golden
    Silver
    Buff laced

Now for regular sized:

Speckled Sussex
    Golden Campine
    Welsummer
    Buff Brahma
    Blue Andalusians
    Buttercups
    Porcelain d'uccles
    Buff Minorca

Lakenvelder:
    Golden
    Silver

Hamburg:
    Silver Spangled
    Golden Penciled

Leghorn:
    California White
    Exchequer
    Light Brown

Polish:
    Buff laced
    Golden laced
    Mottled houdan
    White crested black
    White crested blue
    Silver laced

Sex-links:
    Gold
    Red

Plymouth Rock (I would like to see what these look like; I already have the white plymouth rock):
    Buff
    Silver laced

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Wow!! Thats a LONG list!!

You do know that California Whites are a Leghorn CROSS, right?

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have golden comet which are a sex link and also black sex links also EE`S.

4. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have Porcelain, Lavender (Self Blue) and Gold-Necked d'Uccles. My Porcelain hen is laying right now, and I am conducting fertility tests. The father is either a Porcelain or Gold-Neck.

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    You can find discussions about many of those breeds by searching the BYC forums.

I'll tell you a bit about the Exchequer leghorns. They're a bit hard to find pics of, but you can see some pics of my Exchequer and mille fleur leghorns here:

http://eggheadhill.smugmug.com/Chickens/Leghorn/10024948_Nx3Nx

I like mine a lot. They are very attractive birds, and at least mine aren't flighty, as many people complain about with leghorns.

The other breed I have on your list is Welsummers. You'll find a lot of info about them if you'll just do a search.

Oh, and as for porcelain d'Uccles -- they aren't regular sized. They're bantams. I don't have them in porcelain, but I have had golden-necked and "regular" mille fleur. They are lovely birds.

6. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Buff Brahma
    [​IMG]

I don't have a Speckled Sussex, but here is a Russian Spangled Orloff
    [​IMG]

7. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    An old pic of my white crested blue Polish
    [​IMG]

8. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
  9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Pointing out-d'Uccles are banties, too. [​IMG] They don't come in large fowl size.

I have a Buff Brahma hen in bantam size but she still lays very well, is very friendly, and she's just okay in hot weather. Brahmas are bred to handle cold weather better, because of their small Pea comb (to deter frostbite) and bulky bodies. Pic of her last winter:

(Bare in mind that bantams don't look much different from their large fowl counterparts, apart from size.) And also, she looks much better in person. Pictures don't do her justice, especially when she's moulting.

[​IMG]

I have a few Polish and have had experience with them over the years. People say they don't lay very well but mine have always laid approx. 3 eggs a week. They can be somewhat skittish but I still find them very friendly and remain one of my favorite breeds. [​IMG] They're much better suited for warmer weather than cold weather. In rainy weather, crest feathering gets droopy and gross but even living through wacky NY weather has never stopped me from ordering them every year.

My deseaced White Crested Black hen as an adult, also taken last winter:

[​IMG]

I also have a Golden Laced, Buff Laced, and Silver Laced Polish as well, but I don't have any adult pictures of them. Yet.

You put 'Mottled Houdan' under 'Polish', but the Houdan is a different breed and is sometimes lumped in with the Polish.

10. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Wow!! Thats a LONG list!!

You do know that California Whites are a Leghorn CROSS, right?

No, I didn't. I saw it on ideal poultry and liked what it looked like. Is it California and Leghorn cross?

Oh, and as for porcelain d'Uccles -- they aren't regular sized. They're bantams. I don't have them in porcelain, but I have had golden-necked and "regular" mille fleur. They are lovely birds.

Pointing out-d'Uccles are banties, too. smile They don't come in large fowl size.

No, I didn't know that either. [​IMG] I always guessed they were regular sized and came in bantam form. Thanks for all the info so far!!! [​IMG]

You put 'Mottled Houdan' under 'Polish', but the Houdan is a different breed and is sometimes lumped in with the Polish.

As I was typing that, I saw it said Houdan and I wondered why it said that was a type of Polish.​

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by