Does anyone heat their home with a corn stove?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by ams3651, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Im considering a corn stove to heat my small home. I cant find a whole lot of info on pricing but appears close to $2000. If you have one what are your thoughts and experiences?

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    my grandma was using whole corn in her pellet stove with great sucess.

3. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    we have a "Multi fuel" pellet stove in our family room downstairs...you will NEVER want to burn corn after you do it for a while. First, if you buy a corn burner, you need a heavier (i.e. much more expensive venting setup) it's thick walled and made of different metals.....because corn burns and create an acidic smoke that eats away at the vent lining. You will be replacing it every few years..trust me.

Second, corn smells when it burns. third, most places that sell shelled corn CANNOT GUARANTEE that you will get corn dried below the 12% humidty level it needs to be to burn correctly...so it will not burn well, and gum up your expensive stove.

Stick to hardwood pellets, or a mix of hard and soft you'll be much happier in the long run.

Dan

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Quote:my dad grows hundreds of acres of corn so I could control the humidity level. I know corn smells, we had a grain dryer catch fire once but I was told that in a burner it burns so hot that it doesnt smell. I havent heard anything about it eating away at the vent lining.....any one else have an opinion on this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by