1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Does anyone here have a Bearded Dragon?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wooden_Pony, Sep 24, 2007.

1. If so do you have any good website I can go to and read up about them? Or books!!!

We are looking to get one but I do not like how my friend cares for thiers so I was just wondering if anyone on here has them.

I am at this moment looking on google as well.
    Thanks!!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  2. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Songster

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I have one. He's wonderful! Try beardeddragon.org. They have articles and care sheets as well as a forum where you can ask questions.

3. ChickieDee

ChickieDee Songster

Apr 21, 2007
    North Central PA
    Hi, I have one named Godzilla. He's so cool and very tame and easy to care for. He eats so much stuff right out of our yard. He loves dandelion greens and clover that I pick all winter as long as there is no snow( we use no pesticides, very important).
    My two favorite web sites are: Beautiful Dragons &
    Tosney's Bearded Dragon Care

I bought a good book on line, probably at amazon, called The Bearded Dragon Manual put out by AVSbooks. It has five authors. Good Luck, Dee

P.S. Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions.I'm not an expert but I did a lot of research before and after I got mine.

4. peeps7

peeps7 Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I have a female named Sparkie! They love to eat..................that means you might want to find something else besides crickets for them or your Petstore bill will run waaaaaay up.
    I don't really have a good website but if you have any questions you can email me.

5. serendipity22

serendipity22 Songster

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    My friend just had 8 bearded dragon eggs hatch. She's so excited.

Just thought I'd share. [​IMG]

6. Thank you, you guys for your help!!

I have been researchig them for a few months, and they seem like they would be a great addition to our house. I will check out the websites and the book recommended by you all.

Thanks agian!
    Lisa

My friend just had 8 bearded dragon eggs hatch. She's so excited.

To bad she is not closer [​IMG]

7. TammyD

TammyD In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    Waterman, IL
    We have a 7 yr old beardie named Carlos. He fit into a margarine tub he was so little when we got him. He's HUGE now! We have him in the biggest glass tank we could find w/a heat lamp on all the time & a log he can crawl onto or under. We have that ultra fine sand for a tank floor & it's easy to clean w/ a sifter scoop. He's solo but doesn't seem to mind. He's very, very tame. We feed him crickets & (thawed) frozen mixed vegs & cut-up collard greens. We buy crickets 1000 at a time from Russel Crickets in GA (they're about 2 cents/cricket vs the 10 cents each @ PetsMart, including shipping). We feed Carlos every day but I know of people who only feed once a week or 2 (NOT something I like to hear!). Carlos has a very FAT tail & seems very content in my son's room.

To keep 1000 crickets @ home: take a flip-top rubbermaid bin & cut an index-card-sized hole in each end of the tub. Using metal (NOT fiberglass) window screen & aluminium/mirror-finish silver heat duct-wrap tape (find it in the ductwork section of the hardware store) & tape the window screen to the inside of the tub over the openings. The crickets from Russels come in a box w/egg crates & if you take a knife & cut the top off of the shipping box you can set the box right down inside the tub & just take off the egg crates as you use up the crickets. HTH!!!!

Now to go work on the horse barn!

8. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Cant believe I missed this!

I only have one Bearded Dragon now, but I used to breed them. I hatched over 100 babies before I lost my male. Now I just have one lone female. One site I like to check out is Repticzone.com. Some of the people on there are just plain dumb, but there are some smart people as well. Heartmountain, I believe that is his name, is really informative. I like that site because it also have an area for Corn Snakes, and I have 5 of those. Good Luck with the new family member!

One thing, do NOT keep them on sand! No loose substrate at all. Some people will tell you its fine, but it is NOT. I lost one male to impaction because he ate the sand and it clogged up his intestines. Beardies are very curious and lick EVERYTHING. I didnt know about it until it was too late, but it was horrible. I keep mine on tile. We already had a bunch so it was free, but I dont think its too expensive. Just get it cut to fit in the tank. As for babies, I used to keep mine on paper towels. It was easy to clean, but make sure it doesnt eat them. [​IMG]

If you have any questions, just ask. Im sure one of us will have an answer!

9. w8tn4fresheggs

w8tn4fresheggs Songster

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    Speaking of Bearded Dragons. My family and I just lost our Spike, who would have been 9 years old in January.

We loved him very much. He was so sweet. He will be dearly missed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: