Does Anyone Just Skin The Chicken Rather Than Pluck??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Newchickenmom&kids, May 3, 2007.

1. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    My neighbor...and old farm boy [​IMG] He says he doen't bother with plucking feathers anymore when he processes his chickens...says he just skins them! Wondered if anyone else here did that. I don't know that I could eat one of our own...let alone kill it ourselves..unless starving of course [​IMG] But he offered to show us how he does it some day...thought I'd take him up on it anyway. Never know when the knowledge may come in handy regardless of what I do with mine!! [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If I am butchering birds for myself, I skin them because it is quick, easy and much less mess. Not a problem if you aren't roasting the bird anyways. If I am selling them though I go through the trouble of plucking.

3. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    We always skin our wild turkeys when we get one. Much easier.

4. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We pluck our chickens, when I hunt I will pluck pheasants, ducks and geese.

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    We skin ours, at least until we build a plucker(bought my hubby the book how to do it) and if we sell for other people we ask them how they want it.

6. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I have only ever eaten one of My chickens, and that one I skinned cause it was easier, and I had no idea what i was doing.[​IMG]

7. I skin most of mine.
    I plucked a couple last week, and (I guess) I'm not much of a plucker --- what a mess of feathers all over.

[​IMG] Might I suggest that posts about this sort of thing be posted in the 'meat bird' forum?

Lisa

8. EurekaSouth

EurekaSouth Out Of The Brooder

DH and I skin ours for our own use - we prefer it that way anyway, and it's much easier!
    For others though, I pluck them - which will be easier after I get my Whizbang Plucker!!

9. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Skinning is easier, especially if you have older birds, or ones that are going into, in the middle of, or coming out of a molt.

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    We skin them, much less work involved. They're for our own consumption anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by