Does anyone keep Hamburgs (I have a few in the incubator)?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by playingchicken, Jun 30, 2008.

1. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    I am just curious. I am hoping and praying that the two eggs (day 19) I have in my bator are going to hatch. They are supposed to be golden penciled.

I would like to try my hand at hatching a few more of these but I only know my one eBay seller as a source.

I was hoping there was someone I could keep in mind for the future when I want some more eggs/chicks.
    Thanks.

2. skennedy

skennedy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    Quote:Only have one breed of Hamburg, Silver Spangled. Have you searched for a Hamburg club and asked them for a source?

3. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    i have just purchased my first set of hamburgs, the silver spangled variety. They are the smallest of all the standards I purchased and seem to be ver sprightly. I read that they are good layers and have good feed-egg ratio, so im very interested to see how this goes. Good luck on your hatch.

4. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    skennedy,
    I will check into a breed club. (I was hoping for a good backyard breeder from here though.[​IMG])

Jenlyn,
    I have read they are good flyers as well so watch out![​IMG]

5. skennedy

skennedy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    Quote:My Silver Grey Dorking hen doesn't seem to fly anymore tham my RIR's do. [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Jim LaGendre is a wonderful gentleman to deal with. I bought two pairs of Hamburg bantams from him and they were wonderful and beautiful!

He can show you of different breeders in the US!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by