Does anyone know about buff turkeys?

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
I purchased two young hens from a man selling bourban reds. One was a typical red color but the other was a "blonde" colored. He said they both came from his bourban tom and hen, and even had another blonde hen left.
My question is, I know Buff turkeys were used to create Bourbans then Bourbans to create Buff when they declined, so is she considered a buff? I bred her two my Bourban tom and her babies are very light looking. Any one know about these colors:idunno???

Last edited:
Any Turkey experts out there?????????????????
hmm.png

Google Porter's Rare Heritage turkeys or go to www.porterturkeys.com for great info on all turkey breeds and colors, just be warned, you may start trying to find someone to split a order with, they have the most colorful turkeys and so many must haves!

I got a trio of Purebred Jersey buffs and next year I hope to mate one of my jersey hens with a bourbon red tom to hopefully get some more consisten colour on the buffs(they are so splotchy, thats why they are difficult to breed for show, its hard to get proper, even colour on them).

As for if yours can be considered a buff, it depends on how light she is.

Anna

Back
Top Bottom