does anyone know about old bread?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by isingtomychickens, Aug 26, 2010.

1. isingtomychickens

isingtomychickens In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    My hubby and i have been raising chickens for a couple years now,but we're still learning, and we had heard from a couple locals that buying old bread ( a couple days before expiration) from the bread store by the rack is a cheaper way to help extend the supply of layer pellets. We bought some, but with the hot weather it soon went VERY moldy. I am hesitant to feed it to the chickens because-- a. I don't want to give them something that may potentially hurt them and, b. I don't want anything potentially harmful ending up in our eggs. My husband doesn't see a problem with it, but since I am generally the one who does the feeding in the evening I haven't given them any. I was thinking perhaps winter is a better time to do this since the bread would keep better to supplement their food. Does anyone have any helpful info on this? If this moldy bread will not harm my chickens or eggs that's fine, but I really would like to have a definitive answer before proceeding. Thank you very much!

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I don't think that it does the chickens any harm, mine eat any mouldy old stuff they find.

A couple of days ago there was a bit of a commotion outside and mine were squabbling over a dead frog. When we have the neighbour's cows fro a few weeks to chew off the field edges, the chickens delight in eating maggots which form in the cow pats. Now if they are OK, then a bit of mould is not likely to be too detrimental!

Sandie

3. Royd

Royd Songster

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I've been using bread, for some time, now. It is an excellent treat. I was freezing mine, until the freezer went out, then, I started storing it in the fridge, but it took up all the room, and became very annoying.

I have a dehydrator and decided to give that a try. It took a few hours to dry about 30 loaves of bread...I just broke it up and stored it in an old feed bag.

The dried bread keeps the chickens busy for much longer than the soft bread did, because as they break it up, it crumbles.

4. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I wouldn't do it. Mouldy feed can kill chickens. I don't know why the mold that grows on bread would be any different.

5. isingtomychickens

isingtomychickens In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Thank you all for your feedback! Have a great day!

6. ga_goat

ga_goat Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    We have a local bread store that sells old bread by the bag full about 50 pounds for 2.50 per bag , I feed it to the chickens and goats on a regular basis ,, havn't had much in the way of mold but there is some from time to time,, but don't they maks penecillen from mold ?

7. ga_goat

ga_goat Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Quote:Right on the money Elmo but 'feed' is not bread , feed contains unprossed grain bread does not .

8. spoggy

spoggy d'Anver d'Nut

Aug 19, 2008
    Carlisle Township
    Quote:Right on the money Elmo but 'feed' is not bread , feed contains unprossed grain bread does not .

What about whole grain breads that actually have whole seeds/grains in them? That's kind of like feed, isn't it? I personally wouldn't take the chance.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  9. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Songster

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Actually, the mold that grows on bread is usually a strain of penicillin, especially if it's green-blue mold. I remember my mom telling me her grandmother would bind a piece of moldy bread to a deep wound, and it would always heal quickly. This was way before modern antibiotics and they couldn't afford doctors during the Great Depression.
    However, I sure wouldn't use moldy straw or hay around my animals. That's an entirely different, harmful kind of mold.

10. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Personally, I don't see an issue with molded bread..I get literally a truck load of bread from the Wonder Bread Thrift store each fall/winter to supplement the chickens food and as a treat for them. I used to get it in the spring and summer too, but one day I had it all in a stall in the feed room and when I went in there a black snake was laying on top of it waiting for the mice that it attracted...well NO MORE BREAD IN THE SUMMER FOR ME..I can't deal with the snakes. Hadn't thought about the freezer though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by