does anyone know any good hatcheries?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Flock Runner, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    i want to get some new breeds but my usual hatchery doesn't have the breeds i want. also their smallest order number is 15 birds, and i only want a couple of birds of each. does anyone know some good hatcheries, preferably one somewhere near northern ky. the most important thing i need though is for their birds to be sexed. i don't want any roosters. the breeds i want are polish, sebrets, silkies, and astralorps. i know its kind of miscellanious, but i wanted a different type of flock.

2. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I really liked placing an order with Ideal last year as the order was based on dollar amount instead of bird number.I got a lot of different breeds and was very happy with them.

3. Creed Bennett

Creed Bennett Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Ideal is my favorite.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ideal Hatchery

Ive ordered 15 chicks, they put in 16 to 18 chicks. Great customer service and beautiful birds that lays beautiful eggs. Definately eye candies.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The only place I'll suggest is My Pet Chicken. They are the only place I know of that will try to sex bantams. They also will ship small numbers without adding packing peanuts. Depending on where you live, the minimum order may be 3 or it may be 8, but they will ship one of each breed if you want them to. They are expensive, but they have a good reputation. With your criteria of sexed bantams and only wanting a few of each, they sound perfect for you.

6. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    since so many of you sayed Ideal i checked out their website. they hae a nice variety of birds but they're mostly strait run and i only want pullets. i apreaciate the suggestions though. im going to go check out my pet chicken. wish me luck! [​IMG]

My Pet Chicken was perfect!, except for one thing. for only females, its $10.00 a bird!! i like their selection and variety, but i'm not paying $50.00 for 5 birds.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  7. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    now that i look at it, i am really discriminating with hatcheries aren't I? i was doing some reading about sexing day old bantams and apparently it's harder than it looks. does anyone know a good way to get some roosters a good home? i'm already splitting an order of birds with someone but they don't want any roosters either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by