Does anyone know anything about honey?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lengel, Jun 18, 2008.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    My neighbor started giving us honey after we started giving her eggs. Not a big honey eater so I stockpiled it (just a few jars). Recently she told me that we should start giving each other's containers back so that the exchange could continue. So I lied and told her that the honey was fantastic and that I would look for the jars. I know but I didn't want her to think that I didn't want what she had to offer.

Tonight, I dug out the honey and tasted the most recent jar. It's REALLY good. Like, I don't think you can buy that in a store. I know it has a lot to do with diet (plant availability) so she's clearly putting a lot of thought into her honey production.

Here's the catch. One of the older jars has crystallized. I know that honey is the only food that doesn't spoil (they found edible samples in Egyptian tombs) but I don't know how to de-crystallize it.

Any ideas?

2. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    You can melt it to make it liquid again. Just do it VERRRRRRRY slowly, and not over any kind of real heat. Just sit the jar in a pan of warm, not hot, water, on a counter top.

3. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    mmm especially local honey in small doses can help with allergies and it also kills bacteria. it's good on wounds and on (zits and blemishes). it's also very tasty. u should google the benefits. it's too much to mention. i think u hit a jackpot [​IMG]

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I would probably just get one big jar and sterilize it, so she can have her her jars back-- or get several jars, re-bottle and share it at church or with any friend that wants some, AND eat it, too. LOVE IT on hot cereal for breakfast or half and half with maple syrup on pancakes, in hot tea, etc..

5. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    I, also, set the jar (lid off) in a pan of very warm water to remelt.

That's true, local honey can be tasty! I never buy honey from the store, and keep about 4 types, though I don't use it everyday. But, as you say, it doesn't go bad.

Also, honey is getting expensive. Some types are already difficult to impossible to get with the bee problems. I love star thistle honey, and can't get it at all. I also like sage honey for poultry, and bought the last jar at our farmer's market. There may not be any more this year.

The exchange is a good one! [​IMG]

I didn't grow up eating a lot of honey, either, but there are some very good uses for it, even if you don't want to sweeten foods like cereal with it.

Make honey-butter, and serve with hot biscuits, corn muffines etc.

Honey-mustard is great for grilling. I salt and pepper thinly cut pieces of meat and ribbon them onto soaked bamboo skewers. Then, put them on the barbeque. Meanwhile I mix just plain old yellow mustard with honey in a small saucepan and cook it for a couple of minutes. When the meat is 5 mins. or less from being ready, I brush the honey-mustard on. Watch carefully so they don't burn, and turn them. They should glaze.

Some stir fries or sweet and sour chicken dishes are very good with a Tablespoon or 2 (Depending upon how much you cook.) of honey added. (It sounds like a lot, but I don't make it overly sweet. I make another sweet and sour chicken with peppers and pineapple which uses no honey. Just sugars and the juice from the pineapple.)

If you ever have the time or inclination, there's an excellent, healthier candy I've eaten all my life, which a search should find you a recipe for. It's basically toasted sesame seeds and honey made into bite sized candies. Mmmmm! [​IMG]

Anyway, good luck with the honey; I'm glad that you've found a way to not hurt her feelings, or stop the trade. [​IMG]

6. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Oh my gosh, the sesame honey treats are THE BEST! I love those. [​IMG]

I also think you've landed a jackpot! That's a great trade! I love honey. Like others said, if you don't want to eat it, bake with it! Muffins, sweet breads, there's TONS of recipes that use honey. You'll be asking for more before you know it. [​IMG]

7. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG] I am jealous.
    I use honey to wash my face. It really isn't sticky like everyone thinks and I was skeptical the first time I did it too I admit. It's awesome as a facial wash. It has so much to offer.

8. Tutter

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Quote:Do you thin it with water to use it as a face wash? [​IMG]

9. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    No. It does get thinned while I am showering obviously, but I do it before bed as well and I don't thin it.
    I use a mix mostly that consists of about 3 tbs honey, 2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil and about 3/4 of a cup of sugar. It is great! I use that once a day and just regular honey once a day for the most part. When I am being lazy I just use the honey. [​IMG] It really works.

10. Tutter

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    I can do that...I have what I need here; thank you! I know how good honey is for the skin, and have used it in mixtures before, but never quite like this. Thanks again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by